Whos using MYBB

KeithMcL

Freelance Web Designer
I'm using myBB on my new forum. I like it. I don't like phpBB, and I wasn't all that impressed with SMF either. UseBB is ok too.

I use vB on another forum and as soon as I have the mullah to purchase a second license, I will.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
Gave a look at the possibility of moving to vB being that the modding community at myBB is pretty much nonexistent and they don't seem like they have the ability to pull more talent in. Well, there's no conversion tool for myBB 1.0 PR2 and it doesn't seem like Jerry is willing to make one, so... looks like I'm staying with myBB. Heard so much about the "stellar" service. Well, you've got to serve potential customers as well.

I still like myBB and I like it better than phpBB and SMF, but I could use some modifications to expand my board and it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. I've taken stabs at these modifications on my own with little success. Oh, well... just wait and see, I guess.

Zachery

Moo
The PR2 version should work with RC4, I don't see why it won't.

I'll see if I can get some test data and poke at the importer to see why for any reason its not working.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
Zachery said:
I'll see if I can get some test data and poke at the importer to see why for any reason its not working.
Let me know if it does or doesn't. I'd like to make the switch by next month or so. Thanks. :tiphat:

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
To further my frustration with the lack of activity in the modding community there, well, I've got an issue coming up with the gallery modification made by one of the modders there. The guy seems genuinely disinterested in supporting his modifications.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
I'm done with myBB. After I catch up on some bills and such, I'm buying vB, if they would ever answer the friggin' question as to whether I could convert or not! IPB has no conversion tool for myBB and has no plans to release one. Guess they don't want my hard-earned dollar.

myBB has little to no modders. Many of the modders that are there almost refuse to support their own modifications. And the modifications that are released are nothing but little tweaks and cosmetic changes... they're little to no modifications that are actually of substance.

It's a shame, too, because it really is a good piece of forum software. I really do like it, but the lack of modifications and the inability to court modders is frustrating. What a waste of good forum software.

I'm done. It's frustrating. I'm just completely pissed off.

KeithMcL

Freelance Web Designer
I've now got the money to purchase a second copy of vB but I was holding off on doing so in the hopes I could continue to use myBB. But I'm beginning to feel the same as you about myBB. Maybe I should just go ahead and get my license now too.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
I'm the wrong person to ask right now, cause I'm just heated. This P.O.S. so-called modder released a half-assed gallery modification quite some time ago. I find a bug in it now and the piece of elephant dung tells me he dropped the idea and offers nothing else, nothing in terms of support for the stinkin' modification that he made?! The pedazo de mierda also released a port for IBProArcade that was half done. I had to figure the crap out myself because he kept speaking in general terms like, "thats parser error" and nothing else. Well, how the EFF do you fix it?!

Ugh... I need to calm down. The Brooklynite in me is coming out.

rasp

Enthusiast
myBB is still new, though. It will have all kinds of mods, themes, etc. in the future. For right now, I think it's great. Granted, not as great as vBulletin, but miles ahead of phpBB.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
rasp said:
myBB is still new, though. It will have all kinds of mods, themes, etc. in the future. For right now, I think it's great. Granted, not as great as vBulletin, but miles ahead of phpBB.
It's not "new", per say. It's been around long enough to have built up some sort of base. Well, that base isn't there. People don't even want to support their own modifications let alone make new ones. RC4 saw more modding traffic than PR2, even with PR2's new plugin system. It's complete nonsense. The mods being released are nothing but minor tweaks and/or minor add-ons.

It's a waste of good software.

I'm very, very frustrated with it. There's no defense for it.

rasp

Enthusiast
So the majority of your complaints come from the fact that there aren't many quality mods for it and the mods it does have offer no type of support?

I personally can't stand phpBB, and one of my vBulletin boards is great (love vBulletin software), but I've been testing out myBB and so far I've been enjoying it. I'm still new with it, though.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
rasp said:
So the majority of your complaints come from the fact that there aren't many quality mods for it and the mods it does have offer no type of support?
Yes, I said the lack of modifications "of substance" (not these little tweaks here and there) is an issue. And the ones that are actually of some substance that extend and (in some ways) transform your board are done poorly. The modders for those offer little to nothing in terms of support. If you read the rest of my complaints, I've also said it's a shame because it has a great shell. It's a very good piece of free forum software. I also mentioned many times that I like better than both phpBB and SMF for a variety of reasons.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
Indie Web said:
Wait for a "final" release...modders will come. Patience is a virtue.
According to one of the staff, there is no reason to wait because at this point all we can expect is bug fixes.

And this was explained time and time again to anyone who had a similar answer as your's.

Zachery

Moo
Its been over a year now, how much longer do you expect people to wait. The people got tired and found somthing else. Now had this been say a version 2 RC and a stable version 1 out, things might be differnt, but they had no solid customer base who was already satasified with the project to wait on.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
Zachery said:
Its been over a year now, how much longer do you expect people to wait. The people got tired and found somthing else. Now had this been say a version 2 RC and a stable version 1 out, things might be differnt, but they had no solid customer base who was already satasified with the project to wait on.
Yeah, it's getting a little ridiculous at this point. :Order:

Any news on converting myBB 1.0 PR2 to vB? :wave:

Zachery

Moo
Want to provide me with some test data? I haven't had any luck tracking any down, I do know a friend who did migrate from MyBB to vB3.5. Altho I don't know which version she was running.

IMPAQ

Nuyorican Soul
Zachery said:
Want to provide me with some test data? I haven't had any luck tracking any down, I do know a friend who did migrate from MyBB to vB3.5. Altho I don't know which version she was running.
Test data? I don't understand. :noid:

PacMan

Tazmanian
IMPAQ said:
myBB has little to no modders. Many of the modders that are there almost refuse to support their own modifications. And the modifications that are released are nothing but little tweaks and cosmetic changes... they're little to no modifications that are actually of substance.
Just a heads up, some high profile hacks for Vbulletin are no longer supported by the authors and some have even been removed.