Whos using MYBB

KPR

Participant
Anyone using mybb as there forum at moment im testing it out to see how good it is if so i will move from IPB to it. I love it simplicity cant get any better and how easy to change the different way it looks.

If you are post up your link and let us see what you done to it so far im curious ;)

Zachery

Moo
If you think MyBB is good ;) try vB...

But in all seriousness.

MyBB is a brand new program that has only been on the market a short time, and had some legality issues in the past.

I hope they do well in the long run, but I would think, it would be in your best instrsts to stay with a larger forum software for the time being. IPB, vB, or even phpBB will be better off for you in the long run.

GeorgeB.

Only site im familiar with that runs mybb with a custom skin is talkpixar.com

I guess it depends on how seriously you take your forums. I kinda depend on mine so I would never use a new unestablished software package. But if you're just starting out in teh forum owner world this may be a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and grow with one of the up and comers. By the time that aoftware becomes widly recognized your board could stand as one of the veterans and largest most popular user of the software.

Only time will tell ;)

Lee Davies

Habitué
Thats all very good and true - but how does a script become "tried and tested" and "well established" if noone will give it the time of day?

SchoolHelp

Participant
My site www.talkpixar.com is currently using it. I might change though depending on my circumstances. So far i am impressed. :yup: :cool:

KPR

Participant
Your forums looking good m8 wd on them.

Only way a new forum software is going to work is if ppl use it reason i was asking to see how many were. So i dont see how it helps if ppl just point them to VB or IPB instead as from what they have achieved up till now it looks like it could become one of the big contenders. IMHO

Zachery

Moo
I am saying, if you have a well established site, you wouldn't switch from IPB2 or vB3 to MyBB... it just wouldn;t make sense

Now if you are just starting.. give it a twirl..

_| () R | Z

Proud charter member!
can somebody make a test forum or screenshots of the admincp? i would like to see it.

Lee Davies

Habitué
Zachery said:
I am saying, if you have a well established site, you wouldn't switch from IPB2 or vB3 to MyBB... it just wouldn;t make sense

To people who have had alot of experiance in administrating, perhaps.

However, a majority of people as members (myself included) couldn't give a flying pig-turd what the forum script is, as long as it looks nice and the community itself has a nice atmosphere.

With regards to the atmosphere, the script itself has no control over. In terms of making it look good - every forum script I've seen has at least a decent style system. Granted, some may be more advanced than others - but it's there.

For admin's (new and existing) it just depends on how you utilize the script, rather than the name or brand of the script.

Just my two cents =)

Zachery

Moo
I've never seen a free script that has the backend administration power that a paid script has. and moreso than anything else, best looking forum software to the userend in the world, would be useless with out a decent admin backend.

gunkpots

Got Spunk?
I'm playing with MyBB on my band's website at the mo, but to be honest I'm not that impressed with it. I'm a committed phpbb man myself, and have been thoroughly unimpressed by vBulletin when I've tried out 'trial' versions.

GeorgeB.

Just wait for phpBB v 3.0 (codename olympus)

That's what I'm doing anyway ;)

Zachery

Moo
gunkpots said:
I'm playing with MyBB on my band's website at the mo, but to be honest I'm not that impressed with it. I'm a committed phpbb man myself, and have been thoroughly unimpressed by vBulletin when I've tried out 'trial' versions.
Trial versions? there... isn't such a thing...

KPR

Participant
Screenshot of the Admincp attached.

Olympus version 3 ive only just heard of it and is sounding interesting.

Yea if i am going to go with mybb it would be a fresh forum as no point in restarting it when you have an established forum. Im just interested in the different scripts.

Trial version of VB?

Attachments

• mybb admincp.JPG
    mybb admincp.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 109

Lee Davies

Habitué
Zachery said:
I've never seen a free script that has the backend administration power that a paid script has.

I have never said, nor will say, that free scripts are better than paid-for scripts.

Zachery said:
and moreso than anything else, best looking forum software to the userend in the world, would be useless with out a decent admin backend.

Lee Davies said:
In terms of making it look good - every forum script I've seen has at least a decent style system. Granted, some may be more advanced than others - but it's there.

Also, script dev's have their own forums - for people to post on. They also contain information on how to modify their script - to make it look really cool. Again I say, it's not the script that matters, it's how you use the script that counts.

Any effect done on IPB for instance, can be done on vB (and visa versa). Any effect that is done on vB, can be done on XMB, or phpBB, or MyBB, or UBB, or, well - etc.

It's one of the reasons why the dev's have a forum, tutorials, and FAQ's - to help people support their script without moving to something else simply because it isn't better established or well-known.

Digital NW

Aspirant
that acp shot looks a lot like ipb =P

I agree though. Any script can be made to do that of any other if you have the know-how. Let me know how good that script works out. I might offer it (if allowed) via my new hosting plans.

-Digi-

Nippoo

[insert witty title]
I love it. Just downloaded it and it looks great. I'll certainly be using it until phpBB Olympus comes out... and even perhaps later!

Zachery

Moo
gunkpots said:
What trial verisons..... I'd really like to know what trial verison of vBulletin you are using...

gunkpots

Got Spunk?
I just meant a slightly iffy version installed once on my laptop to take a look then taken back off again, not used on any actual site, not used for any profit, nor for any live purpose, purely out of curiosity and evaluation. My apologies for bringing up a dodgy topic. If I were to actually use it I would purchase a license as I am fully aware that you can't use unlicensed scripts online.

Regarding Olympus, it does indeed look really good, but it seems to me that development has practically stopped, and the less than helpful attitude shown to the community on their 'support' forums is not terribly impressive. It's pushing me away from phpbb though as yet I'm not 100% sure where to move, as I have a lot of data on my forum which I do not wish to lose, and I need it to be a one-time move.

jeter4982

SportsThunder.com
I have expirimented with myBB before, and liked it. The only problems I faced was (1) myBB is still in beta phase, and hasn't fully been tested for errors. (2) I could not convert my heavily modded phpBB forum into myBB. For me this is a must, and if they do not come out with a good conversion script, then I don't think many people will make the switch.

Tom