Who else thinks Google Groups is a terrible forum solution?

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
This is a bit off topic, but somehow "par for some of the Google course". I just replied to my first Blogger post (which is owned by Google) with my Google account and it

1. asked me to fill out a Captcha. I thought, "Wait a sec, I just logged into my Google account. Why should I fill out a Captcha?"

So I shrugged my shoulders, did like a good user should, filled out the Captcha and...

2. then it posted my post as "anonymous" anyway. :noid:

I guess with Google, it is as the old adage goes, you win some and you lose some.:)

Thank God their search works really well (along with a good number of other services).

Scott

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Asking why companies are using Google groups as their forum is like saying why are people using buses as motorcycles. They are only remotely similar because they are both modes of transportation. Same with this..... companies are not using it as their forum ... they are using Usenet for their Usenet group, and Google happens to get and display a Usenet feed. If you don't like Google's interface, download a better one --- some are really good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
But the ones I know of don't advertise their Google Groups as "usenet groups". They advertise it as their "customer community". Seeing usenet is so old, wouldn't you say a better, more modern service for a customer community should be something other than/ better than a usenet group?

Scott

mysiteguy

Fanatic
The reason they don't advertise them as Usenet groups is simply nomenclature. I'd guess it's because there are a lot of people on the Internet who are technically ignorant about the Internet. Usenet has some advantages over forums, and some disadvantages. It's a perfect fit for open source projects because it's decentralized, can be obtained through many Usenet servers around the world, it's archived by many servers which dole out the feeds and therefore protected against deletion, etc.

In some ways Usenet, with it's distributed nature, is more modern than some forum technology. How many forums do you know of which have tens of thousands of topic sections? The number of posts archived? Well, put it this way... it's not measured in terabytes, or even petabytes, but tens of petabytes. I'd say Usenet is plenty robust for modern times! The current daily volume is 15 terabytes.

Last edited:

Pferdeschnell

Neophyte
Sometimes i think so,This forum is not perform a regular forum should have a function to provide more convenient platform for users to communicate.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
The only use for google groups is to migrate a stubborn yahoo group that won't move to a real community package.

Hostname.club

Aspirant
Google Groups work as a very simple way to communicate 10 years ago. :( Totally agree it is terrible!

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I'm surprised Google hasn't dropped that feature and encouraged the use of PLUS instead?!

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I'm surprised Google hasn't dropped that feature and encouraged the use of PLUS instead?!
They use a modified version of it for their customer support forums, so its probably only since they use it, otherwise they probably would.

cheat_master30

Yeah, Google Groups is an awful forum solution. It's like discussion lists, another terrible idea that a lot of open source communities tend to use.

Andrea Borman

Aspirant
I wouldn't have thought Google Groups was the right thing to use for starting a forum. It's not proper forum software is it.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
It is more like a single category forum, with newsgroup functionality. Or you could also say, it is a newsgroup, that sort of works like a forum. It does newsgroups semi-decently and is terrible as a forum, like, you can't even edit your messages. Yuck!:sick:

Scott

Andrea Borman

Aspirant
No I don't like it. Nabble is another bland and horrible forum software. Nabble is another free forum service but not as many features as Proboards and the like.Their forums don't look like forums at all.

cheat_master30

No I don't like it. Nabble is another bland and horrible forum software. Nabble is another free forum service but not as many features as Proboards and the like.Their forums don't look like forums at all.
There are a surprisingly high amount of those horrible free forum solutions with their own 'script' and minimal features. They seem to be targeting people who don't take the time to search the internet and realise how backwards their forums actually are. The kind who sees the first site for 'free forum' and then signs up unquestionably.

Andrea Borman

Aspirant
There are a surprisingly high amount of those horrible free forum solutions with their own 'script' and minimal features. They seem to be targeting people who don't take the time to search the internet and realise how backwards their forums actually are. The kind who sees the first site for 'free forum' and then signs up unquestionably.
Yes but even f you do choose a free forum service there are ones that are way better than Nabble and Google Groups. Nabble has very minimum features and yo cannot even moderate new members or ban them!
Also the forum theme is terrible, really bland and ugly, if you take a look at some of the forums on there. Same with Google Groups.