Which software for a small community

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I dunno, it's my own opinion though. Searching is finding specific tags. Discourse has a completely different way of ordering threads (otherwise discussions).
Other forum software have this. It's called categories and forums. Discourse has the ability to order by the most liked topics, is this what you mean?

Robust

Developer
Other forum software have this. It's called categories and forums. Discourse has the ability to order by the most liked topics, is this what you mean?
No, I mean that by default Discourse isn't organised by topics and forums primarily. The homepage is a list of threads in latest order. Topics do not have pages, but instead scroll down as far as the user wants to go. Things like that.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
No, I mean that by default Discourse isn't organised by topics and forums primarily. The homepage is a list of threads in latest order. Topics do not have pages, but instead scroll down as far as the user wants to go. Things like that.
Sounds like the new posts feature here on TAZ. This is a fairly common feature.
As for endless scrolling, I'm probably going to throw a plugin together to do things like that, although it's an incredibly controversial feature to begin with.

Robust

Developer
Sounds like the new posts feature here on TAZ. This is a fairly common feature.
As for endless scrolling, I'm probably going to throw a plugin together to do things like that, although it's an incredibly controversial feature to begin with.
Nono, here on TAZ or other places you have this forum / topic system and the latest posts thing is usually a little widget on the side, unless you click What's New on the bar. In Discourse, it's the homepage. Not much difference since you can set the index route, but Discourse is a bit different than a typical board in my opinion due to things like that. And yeah, it is. I prefer pages for organisation, and I prefer forum topic things as well. Again, I just said it's good for increasing community involvement imo.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
Nono, here on TAZ or other places you have this forum / topic system and the latest posts thing is usually a little widget on the side, unless you click What's New on the bar. In Discourse, it's the homepage. Not much difference since you can set the index route, but Discourse is a bit different than a typical board in my opinion due to things like that. And yeah, it is. I prefer pages for organisation, and I prefer forum topic things as well. Again, I just said it's good for increasing community involvement imo.
Well, you just gave the perfect method for replicating Discourse's behaviour in a more mainstream and established software.

It's just a different default. Any admin worth anything should be customising the defaults.
Having latest topics as the default view doesn't magically make Discourse different. There are some aspects of Discourse which are fundamentally different, but that isn't one of them.

Again, I just said it's good for increasing community involvement imo.
Please list some communities running Discourse where endless scrolling has "increased community involvement"?

Robust

Developer
Well, you just gave the perfect method for replicating Discourse's behaviour in a more mainstream and established software.

It's just a different default. Any admin worth anything should be customising the defaults.
Having latest topics as the default view doesn't magically make Discourse different. There are some aspects of Discourse which are fundamentally different, but that isn't one of them.

Please list some communities running Discourse where endless scrolling has "increased community involvement"?
I've said in my opinion several times. It's just my opinion on things, not a fact.

davemacc

Fan
Decided to go with Elkarte.

It's stable and has a few additional core features over SMF which all appealed to me.

Currently learning the administration panel before going live but so far so good.

Have to say. Installing it was ridiculously easy as well. Very smooth.

Last edited:

davemacc

Fan
Always be suspicious of things that are easy. :p

Once I got by the mysql setup (forgot my servers name:unsure:) the set up was very smooth.
Now I have to figure out the add-ons.
Haven't done this stuff in a few years.

I've been poking around the support forum for a few weeks so the questions are on the way. :rofl:

DanielGarneau

Enthusiast
I'm in the process of setting up a small community forum for a small group of people.

I haven't run my own forum in years so I have no pfarticular preference in software. I'm planning to use free software and have narrowed my choices to either Nodebb or Elkarte due to their responsive design as most of the people on the forum will be using it on their mobiles on a regular basis. I'm coming down on the side of Elkarte due to it's similarity to smf. I understand that nodebb uses node.js which I'm not familiar with. Has anyone any opinions on which one i should choose, or is their any other software I should be consider. It will be hosted on a shared server but will be private so the server should be able to handle the load easily.

I share some of the same basic sets of criterias as Dave's OP indicates :
(1) preferably free software;
(2) small community, although;
(3) responsive was top priority in OP.

One big difference though is that I have never had any experience setting up or managing a forum.

In summary, the following are both free and pretty good candidates for meeting the above said requirements:
- Nodebb (but does not look as good on a laptop as it does on a mobile device);
- Elkarte (www.elkarte.net) (responsive, actively developped, easy to set up and work with);
- MyBB (I did not know it was free);
- CodoForum (interesting but, as of december 2104, it was still missing some features that were supposed to be part of the product);
- SMF 2.0 (I need to check if it is free or not, even if it was mentionned in response to a requirement of being free in the OP):
- NodeBB
- a PhpBB fork that was anticipated for release sometimes after december 2014.

Also I note that OP Dave finally chose ElkArte, and that several good comments were made of this particular forum software.

So, four months after these postings were published, I'm asking a variant of the same question as raised in the opening post (quoted above): which one of this list would it best to use, bearing in mind the above mentionned requirements (those in the OP and in my summary of the thread)?

The question seems justified because some of the products mentioned were said to be awaiting a new release that would be responsive, and because there was one product that was not out yet, a PhpBB fork, I think it was.

I'll probably post a more specific thread for my own needs eventually. But for now, this thread is helping me forge a general picture of what there is out there.

Thank you for this very interesting thread...

Last edited:

Echo

Runs with grenades
I've always been fond of phpBB3, for a simple, free starting out forum software for small to larger forums, there are some nice mods and some nice themes