Which software could work for this?

totaltutankoll

Aspirant
So after a couple of good and bad projects hosted on forum software (Xenforo, Invision, PHPBB3, SMF all live and Vanilla just experimental) I am currently on the search for something that fit the profile on the following:

RSS-autoposting to forums. So I can get discussions going and fill up the site with content from our main site in the easiest way possible.

E-commerce possibilities. So I i.e. can have a classifieds section in which users may or may not have to pay for posting an ad. For this I would need an easy to tweak classified system.

Mobile friendly in every aspect of the word. My users would not be high tech people but more than often below average in regards to technology except for using instagram.

Are there any software solutions - self or cloud hosted - out there that fit this profile? Kind of did a similar project on Invision. But maybe there is something else out there.

TLChris

Administrator
I would suspect that most of the software packages out there could work out of the box such as XenForo and Invision.

As far as a classified system, the posting a thread method works quite well. Maybe tweak the posting to include photos/videos...but I wouldn't over think it. You could require a recurring membership based on a time frame you set to post. Again not requiring any additional addons. I've done this both on XenForo and IPS powered sites.

I think the mobile features do great out of the box.

totaltutankoll

Aspirant
I would suspect that most of the software packages out there could work out of the box such as XenForo and Invision.

As far as a classified system, the posting a thread method works quite well. Maybe tweak the posting to include photos/videos...but I wouldn't over think it. You could require a recurring membership based on a time frame you set to post. Again not requiring any additional addons. I've done this both on XenForo and IPS powered sites.

I think the mobile features do great out of the box.
I've been thinking that might be a solution but not sure if it would work for the things on sale.. Thanks for input :)

gConverter

Participant
I am currently on the search for something that fit the profile on the following:
  1. RSS-autoposting to forums. So I can get discussions going and fill up the site with content from our main site in the easiest way possible.
  2. E-commerce possibilities. So I i.e. can have a classifieds section in which users may or may not have to pay for posting an ad. For this I would need an easy to tweak classified system.
  3. Mobile friendly in every aspect of the word. My users would not be high tech people but more than often below average in regards to technology except for using instagram.

Without any doubt you should go for:
  1. WordPress / WordPress RSS importers
  2. WordPress / WooCommerce Shop
  3. WordPress / wpForo Forum
All these are WordPress extensions/plugins, with one single (user) registration and authorization system. WooCommerce and wpForo are super mobile friendly, well-designed and powerful.

haqzore

Devotee
RSS-autoposting to forums. So I can get discussions going and fill up the site with content from our main site in the easiest way possible.
This won't get you anything but a board full of topics with zero replies. It's not going to "get discussions going".

Oldsmoboi

Fan
You also have to watch with RSS posting to forums.... most of the big publishers have rules regarding using their material in that way and you could potentially get slapped with a Cease and Desist.

It's also pretty bad from a forum SEO perspective, Google won't look too kindly at all of this duplicate content on your site.

I did RSS feeding on my forum ages ago, but I found it wasn't doing anything to really spur conversation. We started producing our own articles based on the news of the day and citing the original sources. It took a bit of work, but 3 to 6 articles a day was more than enough to keep conversations going.