Which one....

mstrlucky74

Neophyte
Hello all and thanks in advance. Looking to start forum similar to Reddit. Is that even a forum? What program/software is used to create that site?
I like the feel of a "city data" site....the part with the forums.

I'm thinking of using Xenforo.

Nabix

Looking to start forum similar to Reddit. Is that even a forum?

forum

noun
[ fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm ]

• a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

What program/software is used to create that site?

Reddit, to my knowledge is custom coded. However, there are many clone scripts like Reddit.

I'm thinking of using Xenforo.

Xenforo is a great software. My advice is don't focus to much on the software. Pick one that has great features and is very well supported (which Xenforo has both). Pick the software and focus more on content?.

Let me ask you this. . . What can you offer differently that Reddit can not?

Oh!

Fan
Try the 'Design & Technology' section on the Wikipedia page:

Reddit was originally an open source project, but the code is no longer available. There are, however, forks listed in that section from Wiki.

mstrlucky74

Neophyte

forum

noun
[ fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm ]

• a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Reddit, to my knowledge is custom coded. However, there are many clone scripts like Reddit.

Xenforo is a great software. My advice is don't focus to much on the software. Pick one that has great features and is very well supported (which Xenforo has both). Pick the software and focus more on content?.

Let me ask you this. . . What can you offer differently that Reddit can not?
I'm going to offer something pretty specific. Rather not elaborate.

mstrlucky74

Neophyte
First, let me say I'm not in it for the money. Truly have a passion about my subject matter but I'm just curious.
If someone wanted to make say $30-40k year from being owner of a "forum" site how difficult is that to do through ads? I guessing it all depends on how many visitors you have on a regular basis that would drive advertisers wanting to place ads on the site. Thank you

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
First, let me say I'm not in it for the money. Truly have a passion about my subject matter but I'm just curious.
If someone wanted to make say $30-40k year from being owner of a "forum" site how difficult is that to do through ads? I guessing it all depends on how many visitors you have on a regular basis that would drive advertisers wanting to place ads on the site. Thank you

It will take a lot and a long time to reach that goal. Views, engagement and of course-the will to click those ads is going to play a roll. Everyone is mobile nowadays and mobile is changing for the "bad" when it comes to ads. iOS for example is changing the way it allows other apps to serve you ads and its hurting some of these apps including the giant, Facebook. Plus people still widely use ad blocking software.

I wouldn't start a forum with that number goal tbh. I'd start it dramatically lower, like the cost of your domain each year and hosting per month. If you profit beyond that, then you can see what is working and move your goal up.

I have enough views on my YouTube channel to easily make a few hundred dollars a month. That's not a lot but it would be like a part time job on top of my decent full time job. However, because I film on public land managed by the state and federal government, I cannot legally earn revenue without getting commercial-use permits which cost way more than I will earn. I'd be paying rather than profiting. So I learned long ago not to put a monetary goal too high.

After 4 years of having this channel, I'm starting to profit from review videos that I film on my property or private property that I have been given permission to film with the intent to earn ad revenue. I'm also selling merch on a weekly basis and getting a steady flow of Patreon money but not a lot of people are Patreons at the moment. So it really sort of took 3 years to earn money for me but I did have that permit-issue.

For you, to make 30-40K, it will have to be a full time job. You'll have to work to earn that money and you get what you pay for.

I hope that isn't too discouraging but I don't want to see you let yourself down, either.

mstrlucky74

Neophyte
It will take a lot and a long time to reach that goal. Views, engagement and of course-the will to click those ads is going to play a roll. Everyone is mobile nowadays and mobile is changing for the "bad" when it comes to ads. iOS for example is changing the way it allows other apps to serve you ads and its hurting some of these apps including the giant, Facebook. Plus people still widely use ad blocking software.

I wouldn't start a forum with that number goal tbh. I'd start it dramatically lower, like the cost of your domain each year and hosting per month. If you profit beyond that, then you can see what is working and move your goal up.

I have enough views on my YouTube channel to easily make a few hundred dollars a month. That's not a lot but it would be like a part time job on top of my decent full time job. However, because I film on public land managed by the state and federal government, I cannot legally earn revenue without getting commercial-use permits which cost way more than I will earn. I'd be paying rather than profiting. So I learned long ago not to put a monetary goal too high.

After 4 years of having this channel, I'm starting to profit from review videos that I film on my property or private property that I have been given permission to film with the intent to earn ad revenue. I'm also selling merch on a weekly basis and getting a steady flow of Patreon money but not a lot of people are Patreons at the moment. So it really sort of took 3 years to earn money for me but I did have that permit-issue.

For you, to make 30-40K, it will have to be a full time job. You'll have to work to earn that money and you get what you pay for.

I hope that isn't too discouraging but I don't want to see you let yourself down, either.
Not at all...I appreciate it and no matter the response I would not change a thing regarding getting started. Thanks

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
if you want to make $30-40k per year from ads in a forum you will need to be willing to spend 20 hours a week minimum for probably 10 years to get it there... its almost mission impossible nowdays..

borbole

Adherent
Heard xenforo was better

Anything is better than vb. vB 3 was a very good and solid product, but as mentioned above is not supported anymore.

Reading your posts, it looks to me that your goal with your forum is going to be business like rather than hobby/fun etc. In that case, have a look at Ipb. It will suit your model perfectly.

DigNap15

Habitué
I would keep your day job, and start slowly as see how it goes
It all depends on your niche and how you will attract members
My site relies on donations
Adverising can mean you are tied to them or influenced by them.
Not only that its a lot of work getting them
And I'm sure many people use ad blockers these days
But good luck