Which forum software would you fork?

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Let's pretend that software licensing is not real at the moment. :p

If you could fork any forum software out there, which software would it be?

Why would you fork this software and what would you add that is better than it in your fork?

Forking software is basically taking a forum software and making your own software out of it.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
I'd almost want to fork VB4 to save its life :p

XenForo, not so sure about since its still really new.

A PhpBB fork would be nice but there would probably be a lot of work!

Dilip

Devotee
SMF. When I was posting between Blogging Friend and AAF, I was more comfortable with Blogging Friends. SMF is a very nice software and lot of other good things. Just UI wise it need to improve.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
There are a lot of negatives I find with SMF.

I am not at all a fan of their theme creation process but then again, I am not used to it.

Plus it seems very PhpBBish anymore, i.e. not as modern...

Anonchair

Fan
I wouldn't fork any of them. The base of the software they all sit on are antiquated both in initial idea and current execution. I'd redesign one from scratch, with a modern, responsive, socially engaging and 100% real-time approach. I would literally make the software so that it is not in the way of just talking.

Simon_aaf

Aspirant
I would use Xenforo as it's basic, has clean code and does not have all the bloat that some of the other software has.

This would make it easier to build on.

If I forked it as the OP stated, I would build custom features that are unique to my niche. A mix of social and geographical related features.

Dilip

Devotee
Can you give one example for the features you have in mind ?

Simon_aaf

Aspirant
It's very hard for me to give one feature as requested as it would be more a series of features.

All forum software has the basics. Members, threads and usergroup permissions. Based on these, I would like to Introduce 'Location' being an important part of the feature. As my niche is travel related, based on the location of a user (automatically detected by mobile or manually inputted) this will open up many more options to discuss, rate and interact with others based on location.

The idea faces many challenges and are just ideas at present. Hopefully one day, the idea could lead to something unique for my site and possibly other travel related sites.

I have seen many web sites out there based on well known software scripts and then completely custom coded to create something unique. I am not sure if this is classed as 'Forked' or 'Hacking' but the basic principle is there by using a piece of software to create something that goes into a different direction.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Krearra said:
I wouldn't fork any of them. The base of the software they all sit on are antiquated both in initial idea and current execution. I'd redesign one from scratch, with a modern, responsive, socially engaging and 100% real-time approach. I would literally make the software so that it is not in the way of just talking.
Ah, come on now. If you could only fork one, which would it be :p Don't make me get "let's pretend" up in here :p

gazelle

Aspirant
Simon said:
It's very hard for me to give one feature as requested as it would be more a series of features.
All forum software has the basics. Members, threads and usergroup permissions. Based on these, I would like to Introduce 'Location' being an important part of the feature. As my niche is travel related, based on the location of a user (automatically detected by mobile or manually inputted) this will open up many more options to discuss, rate and interact with others based on location.
The idea faces many challenges and are just ideas at present. Hopefully one day, the idea could lead to something unique for my site and possibly other travel related sites.

I have seen many web sites out there based on well known software scripts and then completely custom coded to create something unique. I am not sure if this is classed as 'Forked' or 'Hacking' but the basic principle is there by using a piece of software to create something that goes into a different direction.
If you wanted to add a feature such as location, you could probably just write an add-on, mod, extension or whatever you want to call it, rather than having to re-invent the wheel and create a whole new piece of sofware.

I would probably use Xenforo as the base because I like the modern, AJAX-ified look and feel, but then I'm mostly a designer rather than a programmer, so I'd probably have to get some geeks in India to implement the features I came up with.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Of course your fork could always be about design as well :)

Anonchair

Fan
Shawn Gossman said:
Ah, come on now. If you could only fork one, which would it be :p Don't make me get "let's pretend" up in here :p
It would be whichever is the crappiest one. I'd change every curse word to "PONIESSSS!!!!" - it'll be instantly improved and I'll be rich.

emanuele

Bugs Developer
Based purely on the appearance of their websites and no experience whatsoever in using or code for any of them, I'd say XF. It seems the most clean from the outside.

/me hopes Spuds will never see this post :ph34r:

emanuele

Bugs Developer
I was threatened to be made lead dev at SMF and I forked it. :blink: