Which forum software offers the best photo/video gallery implementation?

heath84

Neophyte
Hello. I am new to all of this and am seeking to host a community forum that has a good photo and video gallery for members to use. I have been messing around with MyBB but their native photo uploading kind of sucks and the plugins I saw for it were... not very good for what I am looking for. Also, the MyBB isn't as mobile friendly as I would like. I paid for the emerald extended theme, which is beautiful and I love it, just didn't realize the lack of photo gallery options for MyBB before I purchased it unfortunately.
Perhaps some of y'all could recommend what software you think I should get?

Other desirable features:
  • User profiles with ratings
  • Shopping cart function
  • Private messaging
  • Directory services (not mandatory but would be a plus)
  • Wide variety of (updated) responsive themes to choose from
  • Clean and modern(ish) feel
  • MOBILE FRIENDLY (must)
  • Advertiser friendly
Not sure what else I would want, but these are just a few off the top of my head things I am interested in. I am not well versed in web development, but I have dabbled and can learn as I go... I think. I am on a budget and am not looking to spend a lot since this is self funded. I already have web domains and hosting through namecheap.

Thanks!

heath84

Neophyte
Whats your forum subject then? I'm assuming photography?
Community with a strong emphasis on photography I suppose. However, I pulled the trigger on Xenforo due to their media gallery. Thanks.

R0binHood

Habitué
Xenforo 1 with Sonnb's Media Gallery

(Although I don't actually recommend you go with this exact combination due to the lack of recent development of an XF2 version of Son's gallery. But the original version is still my favourite from the past few years)

haqzore

Devotee
Even though this thread is essentially done (since you've already purchased XF), I think IPS would've been a better fit.

• User profiles with ratings
IPS has far more robust user profiles out of the box than XF, not to mention the built-in IPS "profile completion" encouragement.
XF profiles are your standard, run-of-the-mill forum profiles.

• Shopping cart function
IPS has a first-party e-commerce app built in.

• Private messaging
Any script can do this.

• Directory services (not mandatory but would be a plus)
Not sure about XF, but there are a few IPS directory type mods from trusted developers.

• Wide variety of (updated) responsive themes to choose from
XF and IPS perform well enough out of the box on mobile.
But, IPS is the only player on the market developing apps, with the open beta now active.

• Clean and modern(ish) feel
IMO, XF wins here today.
However, IPS has a new default theme coming up that is a definite improvement.

• Advertiser friendly
Not enough experience here to pick a winner, but both XF and IPS are capable.