Which Forum Software Is The Best?

Which Forum Software is the Best in your opinion?

• Invision Community

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • phpBB

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • SMF

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • MyBB

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • vBulletin

• WoltLab Burning Board

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • XenForo

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • nodeBB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discourse

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Vanilla

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Elkarte

• Don't know

Votes: 12 12.5%

• Total voters

Ashley S

Adherent
Years ago, I never would have imagined a "Best Forum Software" poll getting more votes for SMF than vBulletin.

Never forget that the best forum software of today will eventually be the has-been of tomorrow.
I've used SMF but didn't like any of the themes or mods, there support is top notch though.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I had a little conversation with my fellow contributors, Skynet and Googlebot regarding ETAs. We think we'll be ready sometime before 2030.

I also have to let you know that we're renaming "ban" to "terminate".

macfanpl

Enthusiast
Voted for IPS. Why?

• Easiest UI/MI/Pi/AI
  • Refuses to accumulate ADS like discourse, gemius, kder****
  • AI/YI training model
  • Mobile/desktop/browser independen

overcast

Adherent
Too much work and not suitable for those who want to build revenue out of it.

kingofdice66

Aspirant
Too much work and not suitable for those who want to build revenue out of it.
True, but to those who are capable of doing it themselves I say "do it yourselves". You will have much more control over every functionality of your site.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
True, but to those who are capable of doing it themselves I say "do it yourselves". You will have much more control over every functionality of your site.
It can be a lot of work, although it depends on what trade-offs you make and approach you take.

It really isn't that hard, as-long as you're not building a general purpose software for every type of site or building an over-engineered thing with a zillion features. Sometimes, you can just get away with something simple.

kingofdice66

Aspirant
It can be a lot of work, although it depends on what trade-offs you make and approach you take.

It really isn't that hard, as-long as you're not building a general purpose software for every type of site or building an over-engineered thing with a zillion features. Sometimes, you can just get away with something simple.
Agreed, building a general purpose software for every type of site would take a looong time. Build your own site, a simpler one at the start, then introduce new features over time.

Harvey

Aspirant
Can I ask why everyone seems to like Xenforo so much? I have a crappy Nabble forum that the original developers are abandoning. I need to make a decision quickly and I am guessing Xenforo and many of them would be better than what I have.

My users are not sophisticated and are older so simplicity on that end is key. Most have used forums for years vBulletin and phpBB.

ETA: My site is https://nyskiblog.com - will I be able to format Xenforo to look like just another page on my site, using the image at the top and the same menus etc?

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Can I ask why everyone seems to like Xenforo so much?
Initially because it's coded by the same developers responsible for vBulletin 3. In the longer term it's proved to be solid, secure and designed to format that's familiar to owners and users alike. It's also an affordable platform with very healthy third party support for those that want to extend the core product. Finally I think it's reasonable to say that the next release has a fair bit of added functionality that bodes well for the future.

Harvey

Aspirant
Also has anyone tried the Xenforo WordPress pluggin? Pros and Cons?

ETA: Been reading some other threads, got a XF and Invision demo going.

Last edited: