Which forum software has largest current market share

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I think VB should be leading still, considering they have many 3x and 4x versions running. I have seen SMF and phpBB forums in many site support forums.

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
Digitalpoint posted stats - vb is in the lead but only because people haven't upgraded or switched yet.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Thanks John for the headsup
What's second and third
is there any links to "reputable" info?

:)

gogo

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
I think VB should be leading still, considering they have many 3x and 4x versions running. I have seen SMF and phpBB forums in many site support forums.

I keep forgetting that for the longest while, only VB was out there.

:)

gogo

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
phpBB: free since long.
vBulletin: was considered the natural upgrade from free/hobbyist forums, thanks to the vb.org addon system that made it very cost-effective (all addons free with few paid versions as upgrades).

Andy R

Participant
Eva, thanks for linking to the info above. I find it fascinating to view who is increasing in market share and who is decreasing in market share. It helps identify some neat tools I never knew existed like Pligg, sitecore, plone, etc. Anyone know how large this survey is?

TigrisOculus

Participant
I hope it's okay to revive this thread -- I was going to ask this question. What are the market share stats for community forum software? Any good sources for stats?

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Thanks! Is Invision Power Board really that minor?? It hardly registers on https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/forum-software and is 8th out of 9 on https://www.similartech.com/categories/forum-software
I'm not at all sure how accurate those stats are. If I'm to be honest - I only did a quick google search and shared the first couple sites listed in the search query market share stats for community forum software. But in my opinion - the most used would be vB, XF & IPB. WordPress forum plugins are well-used too, due to the popularity of the WP script. And vBulletin listed as top primarily due to them being one of the first forum scripts ever introduced to the public...

J.

Ramses

Adherent
There are big differences between the stats on similartech and digitalpoint, the one claims vBulletin as the market leader, the other xenforo...

zappaDPJ

Administrator
There are big differences between the stats on similartech and digitalpoint, the one claims vBulletin as the market leader, the other xenforo...

The stats posted on SimilarTech are obviously flawed. Under 'The Entire Internet' it lists all vBulletin versions from v3 separately as well as giving a cumulative figure which appears to be more than double the sum of the individual versions. I also highly doubt that 89 is an accurate representation of vbulletin 5 installations. Could it really be that many? :D

DigNap15

Fan
Warning - Old Thread

But I just did a search trying to find out Xenforo and Invsion sales and market share
Xenforo is hardly mentioned

Its all Word Press and Vanilla!