When Forums were Social Media... Flashback to 9/11/01

R0binHood

Habitué
It's interesting to see the last seen status of some of those users dating back to close to the event date itself. Some not seen in nearly 20 years, some still active in recent months.

As far as I'm aware most of the big recent incarnations of social media and communities don't really have that same indication of last activity status. Only if they're currently online or not.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Without wanting to derail the topic, just want to address that last point - about social media not having indications. Of course not, their entire world is built around exploitation of FOMO and if there is an obvious sign of 'nothing to see here' it would be 'person last active 10 years ago'. In any case, that FOMO-driven world is all about the 'here and now' much for the same reason.

Oh!

Adherent
Without wanting to derail the topic, just want to address that last point - about social media not having indications. Of course not, their entire world is built around exploitation of FOMO and if there is an obvious sign of 'nothing to see here' it would be 'person last active 10 years ago'. In any case, that FOMO-driven world is all about the 'here and now' much for the same reason.
And for similar reasons, this why many articles no longer include the date of publication. The author wishes the article retain greater perceived relevance, but very often an article in many areas will quickly become outdated and irrelevant. This is unfriendly to readers.

Last edited:

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The author wishes the article retain greater perceived relevance, but very often an article in many areas will quickly become outdated and irrelevant.
Many content publishing guides talk about creating 'evergreen' content for this very reason. It is a common marketing technique to write content that can stick around and hopefully remain relevant.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
The two things I remember most about 9/11 apart from the horror of it was what a small world it is with me living in the UK but knowing people who died in that awful event.

The other thing which will probably seem very odd to people is it's the one and only time I recall sitting in front of a TV in around 40 years and I had to knock on my neighbors' door to do it!

And for similar reasons, this why many articles no longer include the date of publication.

I've lost count of how many times famous people have been reported to have died twice on my forums because of that. It's also extremely annoying if you want to cite a source only to find it's years old and has been superseded by better or more accurate information.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
This is the thread that was started on my Ford Explorer enthusiast forum on the morning of 9/11/01. There was no Facebook or Twitter to discuss current events on, just forums, news groups, etc.

It feels so wierd reading it happening in real time almost as it unfolds.. I remember what I was doing that day, too.