When do i know that is time to buy the XenForo Media Gallery and XenForo Resource Manager?

palhanow

Enthusiast
It's a tricky question because my Forum is starting to gain some users right now, after one month of launch.
I did create a thread here to tell a little about this but i really don't know when is time to add some extra resources.

I know the Media Gallery and Resource Manager extensions are a precious addition, but, how do i know that users will use?

The Resource Manager is a incredible and powerful resource, specially. Is is going to be great to add some "articles" system to my Forum, because i did a lot of "opinion articles" around my Forum and the Threads system is really not the best way.

Mostly because my Forum is about news. I post news from almost every brazilian news website available on the market and i have audition from common users (visitors) and the forum folks. For this, i have a section just about news.

So, the two addons worth it?

sbjsbj

Fan
Bob's addons are about to be released, they are much more powerful than the RM or the MG.
I would suggest them.

doubt

Tazmanian
I know the Media Gallery and Resource Manager extensions are a precious addition, but, how do i know that users will use?
In my experience users upload some images to the Gallery on the beginning then they abandon it.

Karll

Adherent
I struggle to see the news article use-case for the RM. It's not an article system, not a blog system, not a CMS.

The Gallery is nice and all, but the problem is it's not properly integrated with the XF forum. If I post a picture in a thread, it ought to also be available (automatically) in the Gallery, but it's not. And I'm not reminded / tempted to visit the Gallery when I browse the forum e.g. through a display of random (or less random) pictures from the Gallery.

As it stands, in my opinion these two add-ons are only useful for very specific use-cases.

Edited to add: The Enhanced Search add-on on the other hand has some value. It works quite well on my forum.

doubt

Tazmanian
And I'm not reminded / tempted to visit the Gallery when I browse the forum e.g. through a display of random (or less random) pictures from the Gallery.
sonnb's Gallery displays such random images.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Are they currently uploading attachments or their own content like programs that become popular? Do you actually host niche-specific content curated by site staff? Properly and regularly contributing to a download system requires a discipline you cant expect from users.

The gallery IMO would be a waste of good money in general. I dont doubt it's coded decently, but sites really dont need a fully-fledged gallery. You also might want to consider wether introducing a gallery would be wise, as posting images in the gallery would deprive threads of that content and result in fewer discussion about that content.
From experience, the best placement for multimedia content whose subject can generate discussion is within threads - never a gallery, unless you need to have file-specific comments like with online art portfolios such as deviantART.

southernlady

Devotee
I'm paying attention to this as I figure out what to do to upgrade my forum when it goes from 1.56 to 2.010 or above. I've looked into both and while having them as part of the package makes sense, I haven't figured out if they are really needed.

In my experience users upload some images to the Gallery on the beginning then they abandon it.
This is TRUE. I added a gallery system and while it did fine for awhile, people just aren't using it now.

Threadloom

Administrator
Congratulations on the success of your forum - and monetizing it without causing issues with the community.

I would be weary of additional addons - as they become something you support. While I love and see the great potential in Bob's article system, are you going to constantly feed it great content? If so where are you going to source it being the biggest issue I see.

Another thing to consider is when you add these items to your forum, you have to keep them updated, pay additional renewal fees, and potentially slowing down the site when the forum is the real success.

My personal opinion, is what addons can you work on that will create additional touches to users in the community? Some of my thoughts go like this:
  • Newsletters (Couple of addons here, this one, or ours here)
  • Offering premium memberships
  • Form downloads via the Resource manager such as voter applications, legal documents, or flyers see an example here)
  • Articles (Quality content written for your users, examples here)