What'sApp zero day discovered in the wild - Buffer overflow allows attacker to take control of phone

R0binHood

Habitué
A completely silent attack that doesn't even require the recipient to have to click a link was discovered.

It's thought that it was released by Israeli spyware firm NSO group as a part of their Pegasus surveilance package

Pegasus, once installed on a victim's device, can record phone calls, open messages, activate the phone’s camera and microphone for further surveillance, and relay back location data.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/14/whatsapp_zero_day/

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Buffer overflow in 2019? Oh my, Facebook has been careless.

They really should be writing these apps in some sort of managed language, if possible.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Buffer overflow in 2019? Oh my, Facebook has been careless.

They really should be writing these apps in some sort of managed language, if possible.

They might be, sometimes the underlying language's code has bugs which might cause a buffer overflow.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
They might be, sometimes the underlying language's code has bugs which might cause a buffer overflow.
If that was the case, I would assume it would say bug in Java or .NET or w/e rather than specifically Whatsapp and only Whatsapp.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Most people using it wouldn't know Java or .NET if it bit them in the ass. They would know Whatsapp.