What's your Dev Setup?

Xon

Developer
I use Notepad++ run on my windows desktop, and then have winscp watching the a directory uploading whatever to a CentOS VM as I edit.

I've never found the tooling in IDEs for PHP to actually be any good, so I don't bother.

Danielx64

Developer
I use phpstorm, one of the features that I like that I haven't been able to find anywhere is that there no need to save your work, it does it in real time :)

jekyll

Enthusiast
Yes, although you'll have to set the option. Or enable the plug-in. Or whatever your editor needs.

Robust

Developer
Being a sysadmin for so long I've actually not liked a Linux environment for development personally. I love Mac OS X with PhpStorm and a Vagrant installation on the latest Debian (very quick deployment and it's an accessible Linux installation). For Laravel development, what you're doing, you could just use their provided homestead environment for Vagrant which is excellent.

TimWolla

Developer
Most important part: My customized bleeding edge fish shell, it's just so much better than bash (or any other shell I tried). Second most important part: Customized bleeding edge git.

Other than that I develop on Ubuntu Vivid using Docker. I switch regularly between Atom and vim as my editors, depending on the task. Font of choice is Ubuntu Mono.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2015-10-07 21:02:57.png

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Have you tried zsh TimWolla? I've never tried Fish, but I've used zsh for years now and found it to be perfect for my needs. I'd be interested to know how Fish compares.

TimWolla

Developer
Hi
Have you tried zsh?
No, but from what I've read zsh is inferior in that is misses the features that make fish so great (recordings done using https://github.com/icholy/ttygif):

Explanation for the for loop: Automated indenting for control structures!
example.gif

Explanation for the completions: You can navigate using the arrow keys. example2.gif
And other than those mentioned in the GIFs:
  • Syntax highlighting

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Explanation for the completions: You can navigate using the arrow keys.

That does look very cool. Zsh has the same feature when you double tab to complete. A single tab makes the best guess for completion though

One of my favourite features of my shell is the simple Git status, showing the current branch and any uncommitted changes:

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 22.04.32.png
Syntax highlighting would be pretty nice I guess, but I'd have to convert all my dot files too...

TimWolla

Developer
Hi
A single tab makes the best guess for completion though
That arrow navigation is for ambiguous completions only. It completes as far as the completion is clear.

I got another one for you: You can start typing when that arrow-navigable list appears to perform a fuzzy match:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2015-10-07 23:54:41.png
One of my favourite features of my shell is the simple Git status, showing the current branch and any uncommitted changes:
My fish got that too (my bash did as well for that matter). I could not live without that :) Though I do only show the current branch. Running git status to check whether my working tree is dirty would grind my prompt to a halt on a few repositories (1G+) on my disk.

Interestingly it looks like fish ships with a port of the prompt you currently use (Robbyrussel, last but one):
Bildschirmfoto vom 2015-10-07 23:59:18.png

Edit: I think I should explain the screenshot above. That's fish_config. It launches a small Python Webserver that allows to configure your fish from within your browser.

Last edited:

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
TimWolla - That was just a basic Symfony installation with the demo app loaded as a project to show off the IDE. Currently I am working with PHP 5.6.

One of my favourite features of my shell is the simple Git status

I forgot to mention, I use SourceTree to keep track of my Git repos.

Scott

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Hi
That arrow navigation is for ambiguous completions only. It completes as far as the completion is clear.

I got another one for you: You can start typing when that arrow-navigable list appears to perform a fuzzy match:
View attachment 37636
My fish got that too (my bash did as well for that matter). I could not live without that :) Though I do only show the current branch. Running git status to check whether my working tree is dirty would grind my prompt to a halt on a few repositories (1G+) on my disk.

Interestingly it looks like fish ships with a port of the prompt you currently use (Robbyrussel, last but one):
View attachment 37637

Edit: I think I should explain the screenshot above. That's fish_config. It launches a small Python Webserver that allows to configure your fish from within your browser.

Pretty impressive feature set :) I might have to give it a spin and see if I can get converted across.

TimWolla - That was just a basic Symfony installation with the demo app loaded as a project to show off the IDE. Currently I am working with PHP 5.6.

I forgot to mention, I use SourceTree to keep track of my Git repos.

Scott

Ah yeah, I might as well mention that I use Tower for git management too, as well as the CMD and the Git management features built into PHPStorm.

dasklub

Neophyte
I use Visual Studio, C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server for my online community which I have open sourced. I would like to re-write it to ASP.NET Core so it could run on Linux and not just Windows but there's no pressing need for it at the moment.