What's the best anti-virus/anti-malware program?

D

Deleted member 34406

I use sophos as i managed to get it for free for life, when I was working in an I.T. dept.

Maybe you could help me wit this then, I'm interested in Sophos. I'm an home user which would you recommend that as a Anti virus and firewall in one package?

Sophos Endpoint Protection is that what I need or would Home and the free Firewall be enough?

lopar

Aspirant
I'm curious why no one (ok, except djbaxter) using\mentioning Windows Defender (former Windows Security Essentials)? It keeps me safe for years and failed two or three times, when viruses used 0-day.

zappaDPJ

I'm curious why no one (ok, except djbaxter) using\mentioning Windows Defender (former Windows Security Essentials)? It keeps me safe for years and failed two or three times, when viruses used 0-day.

It's generally because people tend to use the same anti-virus product for years without realising that the effectiveness of their chosen product varies substantially year by year. Microsoft's anti-virus product had a poor reputation at one time and that reputation seems to have stuck.

I used Essentials when it was performing well and I've now used Defender for quite sometime backed up with occasional Malwarebytes scan. I haven't had any sort of virus get through since Window 10 was launched so I agree, Defender is a good performer. No infections, no false positives and I wouldn't know it's there although I do run entirely on SSDs. It's also free.

rockerfox

Enthusiast
I use Sophos home edition. It seems to be really good. It detects and blocks places where threats are detected.