What's the best anti-virus/anti-malware program?

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I'm looking for an anti-virus, anti-malware, internet security program that's compatible with Windows 10.
Which program do you recommend and why?

J.

Adam H

** Retired **
Nod32 Anti virus only not firewall, Malwarebytes, Spybot ( the old version not new ) with host file protection. Ccleaner.

With those on your machine you litterally will never get a problem, all of them are light weight with resource usage in mind, most commercial AV's are too bloated and free ones are simply not good enough regardless of some views, most of the people that recommend free AV's ive always found are "tech savy" and therefore like tinkering, put those free AV's on someones machine that might not understand everything and its not as good.

Nod32 was initially designed as cooperate protection, its always been good, always been reliable and always been lightweight. They just don't market it as much as much as other commercial brands, Mcaffee, Norton etc.

PoetJC

Thanks fellas. I've used Norton back in the day. I switched from it to McAfee and from McAfee to AVG, which I'd been using for a couple years. But now I'm a bit concerned, thinking the recent issue with my PC may be a malware issue. IDK... But I saw an earlier post you made recommending Nod32 Adam H ... I'm looking into it now. If you don't use Nod32 for firewall - what do you use? Downloaded and testing CCleaner. Seems like a good little application just got a bit better thanks to your recommend :D

J.

Adam H

** Retired **
Thanks fellas. I've used Norton back in the day. I switched from it to McAfee and from McAfee to AVG, which I'd been using for a couple years. But now I'm a bit concerned, thinking the recent issue with my PC may be a malware issue. IDK... But I saw an earlier post you made recommending Nod32 Adam H ... I'm looking into it now. If you don't use Nod32 for firewall - what do you use? Downloaded and testing CCleaner. Seems like a good little application just got a bit better thanks to your recommend :D

J.
If your behind a hardware firewall ( router ) there really is no point in having a software firewall unless your using it for parental controls or something, If you connect directly to the internet ( no router ) then you should 100% use a software firewall .

Ccleaner is probably the best you will come across thats open in the wild, its clean, lightweight and does exactly whats needed.

Danielx64

Developer
I was going to say avast but I changed my mind after what ive read today about their security browser.

PoetJC

If your behind a hardware firewall ( router ) there really is no point in having a software firewall unless your using it for parental controls or something, If you connect directly to the internet ( no router ) then you should 100% use a software firewall .

Ccleaner is probably the best you will come across thats open in the wild, its clean, lightweight and does exactly whats needed.
Yep. Behind Comcast/Xfinity router firewall.
Just thinking two levels of protection is good. Any Bitdefender users out there? Would love to hear what you guys think of it.

I was going to say avast but I changed my mind after what ive read today about their security browser.
What did you read about the Avast security browser?

J.

Danielx64

Developer
The site that I read about it was "the windows club" if I wasn't on my phone I would have given you the link :)

PoetJC

The site that I read about it was "the windows club" if I wasn't on my phone I would have given you the link :)
If you find the link a bit later - be sure to post it please.
I'm very curious about it, as I downloaded Avast a few days ago. Seemed to be a decent program, only the security browser didn't actually open a security browser. I clicked the Security browser link in the taskbar icon and it opened Google Chrome o_O

J.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I use G Data and it has worked well for me for a good number of years now. It's engine is fast and I've had no issues with crashes or any other strangeness, which I had too often with Norton.

Scott

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
If you want the best of the best, Kaspersky is the best option money can buy.

Many of the other options, I see as too compromised, as are the bad guys exploiting their (deliberate?) weaknesses. Being lulled into a false sense of security can be as bad as using no antivirus at all.

PoetJC

Interesting to see such a wide range of applications being used.
Makes me wonder if they're all basically the same?? :confused:

Thanks for your post. What exactly is CCE and why do you recommend it?

J.

PoetJC

The thing to remember about anti-virus software in general is what's good today will inevitably be not so good tomorrow. http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/ is probably one of the best places to look if you need a recommendation.
Nice link. I've just read the 2015 summary and the program I'm using now (Bitfender) is a top product and would have won product of the year had they not one it last year. Apparently 2 consecutive wins is not allowed..

I use G Data and it has worked well for me for a good number of years now. It's engine is fast and I've had no issues with crashes or any other strangeness, which I had too often with Norton.
First time I've heard of G Data. Looks interesting actually. Will definitely check it out later when I get windows reinstalled.

I used to get too many false positives with that.
Ironically - Kaspersky won product of the year at the 2015 summary report.
When did you last use it?

J.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Bitdefender is alright, Kaspersky is just better (best-rated at removal or malware. Bigger problems than just 'viruses'). But either's paid option should be good.