What's so much better about XF?

Blurr

Aspirant
No one has a really good answer when asked why Vbulletin would be better than XF. What is better?

haqzore

Devotee
If you want to be objective, you can look at adoption rates of each scripts current version.

XF 2 has far more penetration into the XF install base.
VB 5 has very, very small penetration into the VB install base.

Numbers don't lie, and these numbers are clear indication that people who already use XF trust, like and use the latest version of XF.
Those same numbers are indisputable evidence that VBs own customers - those who already use VB - don't want to use their own latest software.

Other objective evidence: plugin/addon availability.

There is a vast, healthy ecosystem of XF 2 plugins.
The VB 5 plugin ecosystem is anemic. The options are very few and extremely limited.

Like above, these numbers don't lie. Why wouldn't developers want to make plugins for the latest VB? Surely they want money? Customers? Etc?

VBs own customers, and those who made a living coding for VB, don't even want to use VB5. This should not be ignored.

Some will now say "VB 4 is great". Who cares? Are we really building for the future on software launched 12 years ago that is now end of life & not supported? Software that is more outdated and at risk every passing day?

Not me.

Last edited:

Blurr

Aspirant
If you want to be objective, you can look at adoption rates of each scripts current version.

XF 2 has far more penetration into the XF install base.
VB 5 has very, very small penetration into the VB install base.

Numbers don't lie, and these numbers are clear indication that people who already use XF trust, like and use the latest version of XF.
Those same numbers are indisputable evidence that VBs own customers - those who already use VB - don't want to use their own latest software.

Other objective evidence: plugin/addon availability.

There is a vast, healthy ecosystem of XF 2 plugins.
The VB 5 plugin ecosystem is anemic. The options are very few extremely limited.

Those numbers also don't lie. Why wouldn't developers want to make plugins for the latest VB? Surely they want money? Customers? Etc?

VBs own customers, and those who made a living coding for VB, don't even want to use VB5. This should not be ignored.

Some will now say "VB 4 is great". Who cares? Are we really building for the future on software launched 12 years ago that is now end of life & not supported? Software that is more outdated and at risk every passing day?

Not me.
Thanks for the information. Is VB5 really that bad? I have no knowledge at all, I am thinking of moving from mybb to one of the two but have not been able to decide yet. You are familiar, I see, I do not question you at all, but somehow I think that XF is very similar in appearance to mybb or phpbb. Is not vbulletin ashamed to take 249 dollars and XF only 160 dollars?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Is not vbulletin ashamed to take 249 dollars and XF only 160 dollars?

Setting aside the quality of the products for a minute, that's not a valid comparison. vBulletin has a one time payment for the life of the product which includes updates whereas Xenforo has a yearly update charge should you want updates.

In terms of quality, security, bug count, thirdy party add-ons and themes, Xenforo wins that race every time.

Blurr

Aspirant
Setting aside the quality of the products for a minute, that's not a valid comparison. vBulletin has a one time payment for the life of the product which includes updates whereas Xenforo has a yearly update charge should you want updates.

In terms of quality, security, bug count, thirdy party add-ons and themes, Xenforo wins that race every time.

Understand. Asks you directly here, why can I not create thread in classified?

Blurr

Aspirant
Also ask other things, I have learned to trick and mix myself on mybb, change the color of css, some changes to html. Is that so on XF too or is it very hard coded?

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I moved my vBulletin 4 board to Xenforo about 2 years ago. I liked vBulletin - it was really all I'd known at that point. But there is no comparison to Xenforo. I just think all the components are much more seamlessly integrated in Xenforo. The core functionality is better (most of what you want/need in a forum is part of the core package without having to add 1,000 mods that may or may not be stable or updated as time goes on). I did find the Admin CP in Xenforo to have a bigger learning curve. But most of what you may learn as a novice managing a vBulletin board is applicable. It's not that different. But it is far better in my opinion. I also find the Xenforo support forums vastly superior and far, far more active.

I cannot speak to comparisons with vBulletin 5, no experience there.

Blurr

Aspirant
I moved my vBulletin 4 board to Xenforo about 2 years ago. I liked vBulletin - it was really all I'd known at that point. But there is no comparison to Xenforo. I just think all the components are much more seamlessly integrated in Xenforo. The core functionality is better (most of what you want/need in a forum is part of the core package without having to add 1,000 mods that may or may not be stable or updated as time goes on). I did find the Admin CP in Xenforo to have a bigger learning curve. But most of what you may learn as a novice managing a vBulletin board is applicable. It's not that different. But it is far better in my opinion. I also find the Xenforo support forums vastly superior and far, far more active.

I cannot speak to comparisons with vBulletin 5, no experience there.
I have probably been convinced to buy XF. But, does it matter if I find a second hand license or buy a brand new one for 160 €?

haqzore

Devotee
I have probably been convinced to buy XF. But, does it matter if I find a second hand license or buy a brand new one for 160 €?
The functionality of using them on a site would be exactly the same.

Keep in mind XF licenses may only be sold /transferred once.

So, if you buy 2nd hand, you cannot sell it later.
If you buy new, it is possible to sell later if you wanted.

arn

Aspirant
No one has a really good answer when asked why Vbulletin would be better than XF. What is better?
vBulletin is dead/dying. XF is not. That's really all you need to know.

wakey

Aspirant
Thanks for the information. Is VB5 really that bad? I have no knowledge at all, I am thinking of moving from mybb to one of the two but have not been able to decide yet. You are familiar, I see, I do not question you at all, but somehow I think that XF is very similar in appearance to mybb or phpbb. Is not vbulletin ashamed to take 249 dollars and XF only 160 dollars?
It's not a bad platform really, those who are the most down on vB5 are generally basing it on the mess it was in the initial form and what it was like for a long time. It’s big problem though is those early days killed the developer community so if you want to extend functionality it means doing everything bespoke. With XF most ways you may want to extend have free or relatively cheap plugins meaning you have more time and money spending on building your community