What's a good starter forum?

cheat_master30

Unless you are making a serious forum, you should not work with free forum hosting services. If you still can't afford hosting (which costs a few bucks per month), then get free hosting, but expect your site to be sluggish.
You mean unless you aren't making a serious forum, then don't use free forum hosting, right? Because the way you currently worded it makes it seems like you think free forum hosts are better than paid ones...

klownz

Participant
Am using zetaboards and it works a charm, very smooth & easy to work and you get tones of help from the people who run it... I have an active forum and could easily switch to paying for service like vbulletin but don't really see the point one thing with zeta though is you have to pay premium package if you want to enable email notifications to threads you subscribe to but premium package is dirt cheap anyway...

Kyrie

Fan
Unless you are making a serious forum, you should not work with free forum hosting services. If you still can't afford hosting (which costs a few bucks per month), then get free hosting, but expect your site to be sluggish.
My host is 58 dollars a month with free domain and let's you install your own message board with one button.

Granted, if you need that you probably can't do a forum.

But anyway here's a link: www.fusionrax.com

earlybird

Enthusiast
I might be setting up a small community forum for my local area with a friend and we were looking at free forums like myfreeforum and proboards and so on.

Is there any particular one that's better to use? My only real 'want' is that it have the option to transfer all the users/posts/info etc in the future - I don't know for sure if we'd ever need it but it seems sensible to start somewhere with that available just in case!

Otherwise, I'm just after something that's relatively simple to use and has some upgrade options like a domain name etc etc. Any suggestions?
This is probably directly opposite everyone else's opinion, but....
Use proboards. Proboards you can get a subdomain name ending in .boards.net, which really isn't such a bad option in comparison to some subdomains. It is easy to use for a beginner, and you can get a real domain when you pay.

Darth_Apple

Adherent
I'm gonna agree with what many people here have already said. Paid hosting is usually a much better option for many reasons, and as has been suggested before, avoid registering your domain with the same company that hosts your website.

If you are going to use free hosting, I would recommend icyboards. Icyboards is pretty decent and has a $20 database export option, which is a huge plus. I would strongly avoid using forumotion or proboards, however. Both will lock you in and make it very difficult to ever move hosts. It's a rip off in a lot of ways.

GTB

Tazmanian
Don't use a free forum host, it means you're stuck if you ever want to get your data back without a converter program.

But if you do have to use one, I'd probably recommend Invisionfree/Zetaboards (which will give you your data for a fee and have a significant amount of useful features and things). Stay away from Proboards, the staff are arrogant and seem to think they own your forum and content and impose stupid rules and pricing schemes on it.
Why do you have this big gripe with ProBoards for? Just curious, as everytime I read you talk about Free Forum Host, you always "slip it in there" to not use them (like you have some big issue with them)?

Did they do you a thick one or something.... at some point?

earlybird

Enthusiast
I'm gonna agree with what many people here have already said. Paid hosting is usually a much better option for many reasons, and as has been suggested before, avoid registering your domain with the same company that hosts your website.

If you are going to use free hosting, I would recommend icyboards. Icyboards is pretty decent and has a $20 database export option, which is a huge plus. I would strongly avoid using forumotion or proboards, however. Both will lock you in and make it very difficult to ever move hosts. It's a rip off in a lot of ways.
There are legal ways to move off the site, you know. It's not super user-friendly and requires tech-savvy members, but it's there. You're not locked in.

Darth_Apple

Adherent
There are legal ways to move off the site, you know. It's not super user-friendly and requires tech-savvy members, but it's there. You're not locked in.
That is true, but some of those methods are very time consuming as well. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into a host move I suppose.

According to the terms of service, proboards requires you to copy/paste your user's posts as crawlers are not allowed. That's not too difficult to do with smaller forums, but for larger forums, copying/pasting thousands of posts is not surprisingly a laborious task. I helped someone copy/paste the posts from their forum once, and it took many long hours to get the job done and it was a pretty small forum.

Of course they offer database exports with the latest version of proboards now (kudos to Clinger for that, BTW), but to the best of my knowledge, there seem to still be things in the terms of service that suggest that it would not be considered legal to write a converter for those databases. Of course I also have not read the terms of service thoroughly in a while either, so I could easily be wrong.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless

First time I've heard ot this company.If they're still offering data export options very good option.
We started out on invision free, and they had data export option which we had to pay for.
Fair price
I'm not sure invisionfree/zeta offers that now though

:)

gogo