Domain Name(s) What tlds do you register alongwith .com .net .org and country specific tlds for your domain names ?

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
If you do trademark. Just make sure you read up on it to make the process smooth and be warned of all the junk mail you'll get making you think you need to hire a service or pay more money. The US Patent and Trademark lawyer assigned to my case told me that I'd never need a lawyer for registering a non-disputed mark. I just had to verify the "shawn" in the mark to say it was the name of me.
Hello Shawn,
Can you shred some light about costs and time involved to trademark your domain ?
How to initiate same also to check if competition exists ?

Thanks.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I'm going to throw in my 2 bits worth about .us domains. Don't do it if you hate spam and you're only going to use it to park and redirect to your main domain. According to policy for .us domains, you cannot have anonymous/hidden contact information. It must be valid contact information, including an email address that's real. You will get spammed shortly after registering, and it will last for months. Website design and hosting spam galore!

I made the mistake of registering two "hot" .us domains after they expired and regretted it immediately. I now know why they let them go!

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Cars.forum is ok but not tesla.forum = TM infringement.

It depends. If it's about Telsa cars, then it *might* be an infringement. If it was about Nicola Tesla, or a shampoo you named "Telsa", then it's not.

There are many companies with the same or similar names, trademarked, but selling products in different industries. When dealing with real words trademark law usually requires that people will confuse your company or product with the other company or product.

Made-up words like "Google" (versus the generic actual number "googol"), "Pepsi Cola", "Windex", etc. have much broader protection across all industries.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
It depends. If it's about Telsa cars, then it *might* be an infringement. If it was about Nicola Tesla, or a shampoo you named "Telsa", then it's not.

There are many companies with the same or similar names, trademarked, but selling products in different industries. When dealing with real words trademark law usually requires that people will confuse your company or product with the other company or product.

Made-up words like "Google" (versus the generic actual number "googol"), "Pepsi Cola", "Windex", etc. have much broader protection across all industries.
Totally right. I trademarked "Hiking with Shawn" but was firmly explained to that if someone uses "Hiking with Shawn Smith" that I have no grounds to insist they quit. I wouldn't do that of course. To me my trademark is mainly to protect my reputation if someone tries to harm it, against me using my mark.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Totally right. I trademarked "Hiking with Shawn" but was firmly explained to that if someone uses "Hiking with Shawn Smith" that I have no grounds to insist they quit. I wouldn't do that of course. To me my trademark is mainly to protect my reputation if someone tries to harm it, against me using my mark.

I'll add that from the outside looking in, it also enhances your existing reputation by adding an extra "signal" saying "hey, this guy is professional"

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
My site's name is Star Army and StarArmy.com is the main site and I also got the .org, net, and .info and the hyphenated versions of these (star-army) as well as stararmy.community and stararmy.wiki, but some of them I let go to save money. One TLD I registered that I'm particularly pleased with is my short URL star.army that I snagged the day .army became available. I've trademarked Star Army as well and the process is mostly just waiting for a USPTO lawyer to look at your submission. I didn't use a lawyer and it went smoothly and all the evidence I needed for my class (which was running a forum) was a screenshot of my website's forum.

Protip: If you're trademarked you can get domain names of your trademark through the Trademark Clearinghouse before they're generally available. I tried doing this for my .army domain but could only get stararmy.army with my trademark because they didn't "get" the "URL hacking" where the TLD was part of the name. Also BECAUSE of the trademark I was notified when someone in advance and asked permission wanted to register the .cn of my trademark. Although I said I don't consent the bastard did it anyway, so now there's some factory using it or something, lol. Not a huge deal.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
If you think having a trademarked site will help, you can always slap a "TM" behind your site name for no cost at all.

cdub24

Enthusiast
I don’t. I just register what site I want and don’t care about getting other TLDs.
This. Content is King. No one cares what the domain is. Hardly anyone types in domain names to find a site anymore.

I have a dot org with my keyword and that's it. To get the dot com they want a million. 🤣🤣 The com a parked domain too with nothing on it. 🤦‍♂️ For like 7 years.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I think for the most part no one cares about the domain in a really positive way, but I think some TLDs (.info, .xyz) can be off putting.

I personally like to be creative about my domain choices, e.g, for a site called Floo Network, I literally had, https://floo.network/ as the domain. If I do another roleplay site (debatable but we’ll see) I’ll probably try to find something like that where the TLD can align.

I also have a thing in the works with a .ly domain where it’s a word normally that ends in ly, e.g. “occasionally” (though, not that) where the adverb describes the service.

cdub24

Enthusiast
I think for the most part no one cares about the domain in a really positive way, but I think some TLDs (.info, .xyz) can be off putting.

I personally like to be creative about my domain choices, e.g, for a site called Floo Network, I literally had, https://floo.network/ as the domain. If I do another roleplay site (debatable but we’ll see) I’ll probably try to find something like that where the TLD can align.

I also have a thing in the works with a .ly domain where it’s a word normally that ends in ly, e.g. “occasionally” (though, not that) where the adverb describes the service.
Yes you can have fun with some of these domain names. :)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master

I was pretty happy to get hws.fm for my podcast network. It was an expensive domain but three letter domains are hard to come by these days!

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I almost always stick with .com even if it means purchasing a long domain which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I picked up a few of the new TLDs today... I snagged ForumTips.blog, eFamo.us, and onlygo.pro. All are going to be blog-types. Nothing on them yet but I wanted to share mainly the names not to spam lol but to show how creative you can get with these modern TLDs. I'm seeing a lot of sites jumping on board with them too. Try to get any of the domains above in a .com form and I bet you spend more because they're taken.

So let's see what I can do with them :) that's my mission! See how good I can make them compared to a .com side by side.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I'm like a domain hoarder. I keep buying and buying lol. Just yesterday I bought ourcommunity(.)earth, ourforum(.)co, ourforums(.net) forumcommunities(.)com.. Most of the time I just buy with not intentions of doing anything with them right away.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
None.

We used to have about 40 domains, but found no benefit to having them, just a cost - so let almost all of them all go over time.

We now have our main domains (.uk & .co.uk) a test domain, and thats it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
My few remaining domains are either .co.uk or .com but what I need is .music. I registered an interest for a number of domains years ago and I'm willing to pay four figures but I'm still waiting 😴

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I'm like a domain hoarder. I keep buying and buying lol. Just yesterday I bought ourcommunity(.)earth, ourforum(.)co, ourforums(.net) forumcommunities(.)com.. Most of the time I just buy with not intentions of doing anything with them right away.
I used to be like this. I still am in a way. I have 36 active domains. But back in my AAF days, I had more than 100 of them and SOOOO many forums, Pete can attest for that, haha.

Just 2 forums now and that's all I want :D

cdub24

Enthusiast
I used to be like this. I still am in a way. I have 36 active domains. But back in my AAF days, I had more than 100 of them and SOOOO many forums, Pete can attest for that, haha.

Just 2 forums now and that's all I want :D
How did you manage that many sites? Crazy