Domain Name(s) What tlds do you register alongwith .com .net .org and country specific tlds for your domain names ?

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Interested to know what other tlds you register alongwith .com .net .org and country specific tld for your domain names ?
If you are running your site on .com or country specific tld do you really require other tlds ?

Nabix

That would depend on what you are doing with the TLD in question and what market you are going for. For example, if you have a website that offers a service or product, you may wish to expand your target audience by purchasing a .in, .co.uk, etc domain and tailor your website for that domain.

But, for a simple website like an online community, you really only need a domain that fits your style. It's not just the domain that makes the site, its the content :)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I used to get the .net and .org with every .com I got. Now I just do the .com. My main brand is trademarked under my LLC. So I suppose I could go that route if it was impersonated but probably wouldn't.

I've been liking the new TLDs tho.

For example, I picked up HWS.fm which was quite a bit of money! but that is going to be my podcasting network. My main site is a .com but I've started a tour guide service from it and got the .tours domain of it. I have a few of the .blog TLDs. Is there a .forum yet?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I didn't realise it was actually out now - last I'd heard it was waiting to go live with no confirmed date (despite a 'general availability' date of March 2021, no-one was willing to sell me one at all when I last looked in September, and GoDaddy still isn't apparently selling them yet)

Looking again, $500+ at Namecheap is *steep*, and I think this is a special offer; the 'real' price seems to be north of $1k and other retailers (e.g. Gandi) are offering them at £900+ each.

Tiffany Bello

Enthusiast
I register with .com and .net, as well as protect my brand with any other similar domain names to protect my main domain names.

Example, if a chosen domain name uses the word "Moms", I'll also purchase the same domain name with a "z", such as "Momz". If a domain name can have a synonym used in its place, I'll likely purchase that domain name too.

I do like Shawn's idea of trademarking. I appreciate this input here on domains!

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I'm still waiting for .music. It's been a long wait since the original announcement with still no end in sight.

\o/

an oddity
As none of my projects are commercial, I usually just register .de or .org.

FTL

Enthusiast
I didn't realise it was actually out now - last I'd heard it was waiting to go live with no confirmed date (despite a 'general availability' date of March 2021, no-one was willing to sell me one at all when I last looked in September, and GoDaddy still isn't apparently selling them yet)

Looking again, $500+ at Namecheap is *steep*, and I think this is a special offer; the 'real' price seems to be north of $1k and other retailers (e.g. Gandi) are offering them at £900+ each.
I've noticed those crazy prices for .forum too and I have no idea what's so special about it to charge so much. Does anyone know?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I register with .com and .net, as well as protect my brand with any other similar domain names to protect my main domain names.

Example, if a chosen domain name uses the word "Moms", I'll also purchase the same domain name with a "z", such as "Momz". If a domain name can have a synonym used in its place, I'll likely purchase that domain name too.

I do like Shawn's idea of trademarking. I appreciate this input here on domains!
If you do trademark. Just make sure you read up on it to make the process smooth and be warned of all the junk mail you'll get making you think you need to hire a service or pay more money. The US Patent and Trademark lawyer assigned to my case told me that I'd never need a lawyer for registering a non-disputed mark. I just had to verify the "shawn" in the mark to say it was the name of me.

Pete

I've noticed those crazy prices for .forum too and I have no idea what's so special about it to charge so much. Does anyone know?
They think that’s the price they can get for it, I guess? Prices are set by the registry that owns them, and everyone downstream is a reseller competing mostly on service, or how good a discount they can negotiate.

There’s nothing inherently special about .forum.

Tiffany Bello

Enthusiast
If you do trademark. Just make sure you read up on it to make the process smooth and be warned of all the junk mail you'll get making you think you need to hire a service or pay more money. The US Patent and Trademark lawyer assigned to my case told me that I'd never need a lawyer for registering a non-disputed mark. I just had to verify the "shawn" in the mark to say it was the name of me.
Shawn, thank you for the trademark directive! I did attempt a trademark years ago but learned that the name I was using was too common and couldn't be trademarked. I will defiantly look into trademarking possibilities again and will also keep in mind your advice on how to "assure a smooth process". ~T.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
I typically stick with .com, .net, .org, .info, and .us. Sometimes I'll do specialty ones like .mobi or .gaming if they're relevant.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I just go with the .ca for anything I buy, except for the company I ran, when I also registered the .com (forwarded to the .ca) and the .net for my internal network.

A bit of an aside: something I've always been curious about. Generally sites in other places tend to use their country suffix. However, I've noticed nearly all the US based sites I see still prefer the .com over .us, even when it's not a commercial venture. I've always wondered why.

iAdam

Aspirant
.com is more global so you don't limit your audience to a geo location... maybe that's why they call .com king :)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
There’s nothing inherently special about .forum.
Not $500.000 special... Maybe they see Forum as a physical forum rather than a bulletin board. To the kids in the audience, bulletin board is what we used to call forums :p

I slapped myself in the face a little bit for getting my .fm as it wasn't that cheap. No way would I go $500 for a first time domain registration!

Pete

I assume some level of scalping will happen but €500 is a high investment factor for that.