What the hell is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macfanpl

Enthusiast
In one of the post on MyBB blog, Tom Moore once said:
Members of the MyBB Team should be considered core workers who regularly contribute to the project.
So Im asking: Where are these regular contributors and their contributions?

Team take note: regular means: on regular basis. How this (=what happens nowadays) can be called regular?

Its been 2013. We currently have 2020. SEVEN YEARS ON and still valid!.

Grow up kids.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Im asking: Where are these regular contributors and their contributions?
Good question... The simplest answer is that people move on as they age and join the workforce. MyBB tried going for a corporate structure back when it was on top of the mountain and wanted to own it, without either adequate funding, business plans, or stable contributor base.

Those 'overqualified' either left to more promising projects or never bothered joining. Could you stay active and excited about the same single project from your teens to your children's coming of age? Programmers need their skills refreshed and stale projects limit their ability to grow their skills in adequation with the job market. The average active FOSS contributor today learned their trade using modern tools and frameworks, not ancient stacks and libraries like php and jquery. If a complete rewrite was absolutely necessary, they'd find it far more pragmatic to simply cut backward compatibility and all the legacy code, make new software and only support a migration/import procedure as a way to bridge both cleanly.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I find the blatant trolling from you to be a little bit tiresome (not that people can't criticise MyBB, just this endless and ceaseless drama at MyBB for them not handing over ownership to you), but it is more or less as stated above. MyBB has a large legacy code-base and a large user-base to support.

It would be difficult for them to simply cut them off to go write a script in Go, Elixir, Node.js or some other modern platform, especially as their users are very used to legacy hosting platforms built upon cPanel and PHP and the forum market's momentum has been somewhat broken as of late with the rise of social media.

Adopting modern technologies wouldn't provide as big an explosive leap to admins as they would like either. Content is a very big differentiating factor, with some admins even using very adequated software like vB3 without a massive loss in activity. Forums operate off a bit of a "keep it simple stupid" mindset, you don't need anything overly complex to launch a community and you run it the way you want not the way Facebook wants you to.

A more modern system would have a competitive advantage over other sites, but so would a custom solution once you get to that point and you would be more able to tailor it to your specific needs. I have seen very large sites start off on MyBB when they're smaller, less proven and more casual and jump to custom solutions written in languages like C#.

macfanpl

Enthusiast
I find the blatant trolling from you to be a little bit tiresome (not that people can't criticise MyBB, just this endless and ceaseless drama at MyBB for them not handing over ownership to you), but it is more or less as stated above. MyBB has a large legacy code-base and a large user-base to support.
You get it all wrong. Im not angry at MyBB team for not handling me power, but rather for the way theey communicated it. Basically transferring guilt and creating an (false) impression that I was the only person who misbehaved. For me, I would be perfectly happy with them saying just plain "NO" for my proposal; but instead they chose to produce whole-forum drama out of it. Well, ok, their decision, but let me defend myself.

It would be difficult for them to simply cut them off to go write a script in Go, Elixir, Node.js or some other modern platform, especially as their users are very used to legacy hosting platforms built upon cPanel and PHP and the forum market's momentum has been somewhat broken as of late with the rise of social media
Here, I must agree with you. This job eould not be an easy one. It requires more than volunteers, I see it perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.