What the hardest thing about being a developer?

Danielx64

Developer
Being a developer, what do you struggle with the most? To me I sometime have a hard time in deciding what server configuration I would support as I cant expect everyone to be running the latest and greatest. I also have trouble with things like regex and mySQL can get in the way, but that only a minor thing generally.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Imposing efficient standards. Everyone still insists on MySQL, Oracle, the cheapest hosting possible and Windows Server.
But hey, slow, laggy and hackable apps and sites are fine, once things stop scaling the fix and incident support can be sold too.

Robust

Developer
Imposing efficient standards. Everyone still insists on MySQL, Oracle, the cheapest hosting possible and Windows Server.
But hey, slow, laggy and hackable apps and sites are fine, once things stop scaling the fix and incident support can be sold too.
Hosting is worse. We (or well, I, in this case) served in the gaming industry. Gamers often like to spend little money. So with that, most hosts compromise on terrible servers, old servers, bad support, etc. and sell for dirt cheap prices. I mean, cheaper than chocolate bars. You can get yourself a game server for 1 month for cheaper than a chocolate bar which you eat in 5 seconds. So, competition wise, we had much higher pricing with better support, servers, and skilled, qualified staff. Trying to impose standards there was like hell for business.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
You'd be surprised how many organisations, schools and govs go with MS software simply because they're already licenced to use them or got them free with partnerships. Not even to mention higherups imposing those solutions for political reasons or a discrete payout ('if you cant win the tech people, go for the boss').

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
You'd be surprised how many organisations, schools and govs go with MS software simply because they're already licenced to use them or got them free with partnerships. Not even to mention higherups imposing those solutions for political reasons or a discrete payout ('if you cant win the tech people, go for the boss').

Far more of it is you usually can't be fired for using Microsoft if you made a mistake, whereas you can be fired for going to another vendor. It's nothing new, they used say back in the 1960s, 70 and through the 80s you couldn't be fired for buying IBM. Some people don't like risks, especially if the risk is their career.

icarus07

Aspirant
What have you developed?
Not a big thing, just a website : www.useratings.net
I'm still working on filling it with more products, i started with smartphones. I'm working on animes section right now.

The website idea is to help you get (very quickly) the list of the best products of the moment, based on user ratings.
I hope i'm doing something interesting.

Arkel

Aspirant
I struggle to concentrate on my project, I am time sensitive and it leaves me with worries of wasted time, since I am going to college and working in warehousing, I am always tired at the end of the day. These projects I develop won't be used in the long run for beneficial purposes, so it gives me doubt to continue. I do learn co-dependently though, exchange solutions and flaws with each other. When it comes to collaboration, I always keep my eye on the ball and get it done.

pierce

Habitué
Finishing, sounds stupid but finishing is the hardest.

Its easy to start, but as you go along you make bad decisions and it goes in a direction you don't want to.

And frontend, i absolutely hate developing front end.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
For me, the most difficult part of the development process is coming up with a good idea for something worthwhile to develop. :einstein:

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
For me it's dealing with front end. I'm not that creative.
Also, I'm starting to lack motivation and focus to finish a project. I have to take a couple of days or weeks to get back in routine.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
Being a developer, what do you struggle with the most? To me I sometime have a hard time in deciding what server configuration I would support as I cant expect everyone to be running the latest and greatest. I also have trouble with things like regex and mySQL can get in the way, but that only a minor thing generally.

Definitely server-side support. I have a lot of things I would love to do, but accounting for the lowest common denominator means everything I do must work on PHP 5.6 or above.

There are a few classes I would love to convert to anonymous classes where they are only ever used once, for instance, and don't really need to be a full class / file on their own.

And then, of course, the same applies when PHP7 takes the majority, because there will always be features in the next version that are useful - such as Multi-catch statements in PHP 7.1.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
As a former developer of software products I can say without hesitation the hardest part is finding your stuff being pirated and sold for profit.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
As a former developer of software products I can say without hesitation the hardest part is finding your stuff being pirated and sold for profit.
Fortunately, I've never done any development for stuff that I sell for myself, so never been in that position, but yeah, that would suck.