What software to use for photography

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
A friend of mine asked to redo his website he is a photographer and wants a website that showcase his pictures and what he does. I looked at some software but i have no good idea what to use. I looked at Wordpress and some other software but i’m at a lost. It needs to be easy to use, images are the main focus, only a few pages are needed for images and text one page with prices and how to contact him. He needs to be able to easily adjust text or an image. Another issue is SEO and links to social media. What do you recommend and what plugins if needed.

Faust

Enthusiast
A friend of mine asked to redo his website he is a photographer and wants a website that showcase his pictures and what he does. I looked at some software but i have no good idea what to use. I looked at Wordpress and some other software but i’m at a lost. It needs to be easy to use, images are the main focus, only a few pages are needed for images and text one page with prices and how to contact him. He needs to be able to easily adjust text or an image. Another issue is SEO and links to social media. What do you recommend and what plugins if needed.
I’m a photographed too. And own 2 websites, depending on what your friends wants to achieve. I have premium theme photography theme on WordPress , and i have an other personal blog running on Koken if you heard about it, it’s great piece of soft unfortunately it’s open source now if I’m not wrong.If you want the installation PM ,their website is dead, or check on google.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Chevereto is imo the best to run a photography website similar to Photobucket and Imgur. There's a free edition with fewer features and delayed updates but the paid edition is really inexpensive cheap given how feature-packed it is.

More at https://chevereto.com/

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
Faust Koken is nice to see but without support or a fully working site of the developers not going to do that if something goes wrong i need to support it fully. Maybe i go the Wordpress route do you have an example for premium themes. Buying something to 100 euro is no issue as long as it works.

LeadCrow not what i’m looking for but nice software, what i want is a personal site for one person to showcase his business.

Faust

Enthusiast
Faust Koken is nice to see but without support or a fully working site of the developers not going to do that if something goes wrong i need to support it fully. Maybe i go the Wordpress route do you have an example for premium themes. Buying something to 100 euro is no issue as long as it works.

LeadCrow not what i’m looking for but nice software, what i want is a personal site for one person to showcase his business.
As I said, depends on what level you are looking. I'm running koken for 3 years , and have no security or other issue. It's pretty stable for now. And it's sad that there aren't supported anymore.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I use WordPress with the premium OceanWP theme. It's heavily promoted for use with a site builder called Elementor, but I don't use that. OceanWP is highly customizable (it also has a free version, but it's not as customizable), so you can make it look as unique as you want. I use WP and OceanWP theme on a number of sites, but this is my photography site: https://jimmcclainphotos.com/

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I maintain a site for a photographer/short filmmaker. As above I also use Wordpress and a heavily customised premium theme. In the past I've looked for other options but I've yet to find anything that does a better job.

Where photography is concerned I think it's important to be able to lay things out the way you want and not how the software dictates. That's the primary reason I've stuck with Wordpress and a custom theme.

Ingenious

Fan
Wordpress IMHO too. There are hundreds of themes out there specifically geared towards photography.

R0binHood I like the look of that, thanks for posting (I'm looking for something like this to use in an existing WP site). Do you use the free version or one of the paid ones?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
@R0binHood I like the look of that, thanks for posting
I agree. At the top of the page it says 'Design Your Own Gallery Layouts'. Straight away that tells me they understand the importance of being able to present your photographs appropriately and not to suit a preordained layout. I recall many years ago trying to bend Coppermine to my will. That didn't last long and looking at it again today reminds me of the horror https://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg15x/ :sick:

R0binHood

Habitué
Do you use the free version or one of the paid ones?
I bought the business version recently for a site with 500 images to be spread across various galleries. I went for the business version as it's got the SEO deeplinking. How important that'll be in the long run, who knows, but I took the time to correctly label the file names for each image so I figured might as well go all out and get the deep linked version if it helps the site to rank.

It was the best one I could find that had really good mobile support too.

They used to let you choose from about 4 or 5 different lightboxes, but in a recent update in the last couple months they've consolidated to one and just pimped it out to consolidate the best features from all of them.

Interestingly, the lightbox they chose to run with is FancyBox, which I think is the same as the new lightbox in XF2.2

I agree. At the top of the page it says 'Design Your Own Gallery Layouts'. Straight away that tells me they understand the importance of being able to present your photographs appropriately and not to suit a preordained layout.
Yeah, I let it do most of the work. But they do have a neat grid UI for making certain images bigger than others and putting them in the exact order you wish, if you want complete control over the layout and want to emphasise certain ones.

R0binHood

Habitué
One thing I don't like about it though is how they manage the upgrades depending on what plan you're on. It's an additional wordpress plugin for nearly every extra feature. It's a bit weird and sometimes I wouldn't always get the update showing as available in my ACP. I think I read they may have fixed part of that in a recent update. Still annoying having like 10 plugins in my plugins list for what's effectively one plugin with a load of extentions.

Ingenious

Fan
Thanks R0binHood - actually today I also tried the "pro" gallery in Elementor and it's not bad either. As I already pay for Elementor it's not an extra expense but obviously anyone not using Elementor and wanting a gallery would do well to check out your suggestion.