What Social Media do you see as your opposition?

What social media do you see as opposition to your forum

• Other forums in the same market as yours

• Youtube

• Reditt

• Quroa

• Facebook Groups

• Blogs

Results are only viewable after voting.

DigNap15

Fan
What social media do you see as opposition to your forum
That is which social media types are the biggest threat to your forum, losing members and input etc

This is not about which is the best forum software
Its your forum versus the rest of social media

Joel R

Fan
All of them are a threat for attention.

Facebook and Reddit are a threat for general news, social, lifestyle, and interest-based conversation.

Youtube is probably the least overlap because it's video, so it's also the most complementary.

It's definitely become challenging for community managers to navigate through a crowded web and to find areas where they can build an impenetrable moat that those social media networks can't or won't want to penetrate.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Used to be Facebook until I crossed over to that side. Took me years to get 1,000 members on a forum that I routinely marketed. Took me maybe 2 years to get 8,200+ members on a Facebook group that I really let naturally grow on it's own. My YouTube subscriber count is slow but I get a lot of non-subscriber views so I am game with it.

DigNap15

Fan
Here in my country I also have a few blogs that are also my opposition

DigNap15

Fan
Used to be Facebook until I crossed over to that side. Took me years to get 1,000 members on a forum that I routinely marketed. Took me maybe 2 years to get 8,200+ members on a Facebook group that I really let naturally grow on it's own. My YouTube subscriber count is slow but I get a lot of non-subscriber views so I am game with it.
So you are saying your forum has 1,000 members and your Facebook group has 8,000.
That is very sad

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
So you are saying your forum has 1,000 members and your Facebook group has 8,000.
That is very sad

Back when I had a forum, it took me a long time to get 1K members but not so long to get 8K on a Facebook group, that is how I meant that.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I don't consider any other social media site as competition to my forum. Perhaps it's different because I'm not interested in making money from my forum, but I prefer to think of it as a symbiotic relationship.

I consider any of those sites that cover the same subject as my forum as part of the whole picture for my users. They provide a different perspective of the topics. Additionally, they very often provide good starting points for discussion. Someone will point to a facebook post or a YouTube video in a post and that will generate a whole discussion about it.