What platform should I migrate to?

adama

Neophyte
Hi there,

First, excuse me for my English. I am from The Netherlands, and my English in writing isn't that good!

I own VB4 forums for over 10 years now.
All where difirent, but worked fine for me.
Now the problem is that php7 and higher does not support VB4 for long.
So for security i have to do something.
Upgrade to VB5 is not realy an option. It is totally difirent, can't do with it what i can with VB4.

So i do have to switch to another forum software, but don't know wich is the best!
The main thing is, that there has to be a lot of add-ons / modules i can install like VB4.
And that i can import al my topics and Users from VB4 to the new software.
Because there are 85.000 topics and over 1 million messages.

So i am looking for ideas, and your expertise in this.
Hope you can help me.

Greetings
Adama

l3ta

Enthusiast
Hi, welcome to TAZ. Go with xenforo. It is the best of the best.

adama

Neophyte
Ok. And can you tell me why it is the best of the best?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Ok. And can you tell me why it is the best of the best?

Xenforo should definitely be on your shortlist of options. It was created by the same developers who wrote vBulletin 3 so by migrating you'll be on fairly familiar ground. Xenforo also has a healthy 3rd party support structure in terms of add-ons and themes.

I would also look at Invision Community (IPS). It's arguably more advanced than XenForo, offering more in the core product.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Xenforo and IPS (Invision Powered Services) are the two highest recommendations you will get but don’t forget Woltlab. All 3 have options to give you a demo for a few days make use of that. Take your time when using the demo’s you can always apply again if you run out of time. After choosing preparations need to be made buy the software and try a few imports until you know how it works and what needs to be changed.

adama

Neophyte
Ok, this is something i can work with.

I have now downloaded xenforo this morning, and will do that also with IPS.
But what i see with the plans, with vbulletin you buy a license and then you are done.

I see with IPS you have to keep paying?
And with Xenforo, is that with that one to?

Can't realy find out how this done with them, or that there is an option to by a licence for one time like VB.

Thanks for all your input, verry much appreciated.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I'd definitely go with Xenforo. It's a great piece of software and if you need help their support forums are great for that.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I'd say that XenForo is the best successor of vB4. As others have mentioned, its creators originally worked for vBulletin. A lot of the add-on developers who worked on vB mods also moved to XF. Both Invision and XF allow you to try them out before purchasing, so it's not a bad idea to try both.

I see with IPS you have to keep paying?
And with Xenforo, is that with that one to?

Can't realy find out how this done with them, or that there is an option to by a licence for one time like VB.

It's a license with Invision (on-premise) and XenForo. If you want to continue support and version upgrades, though, you have to pay to renew on a regular basis.

borbole

Adherent
I would also look at Invision Community (IPS). It's arguably more advanced than XenForo, offering more in the core product.
I would recommed Ips as well. It is indeed much more advanced than xf and it is a very good fit for either serious business forums or hobby forums as well.

I come from the Netherlands as well btw. If you need help, send me a private message here.

adama

Neophyte
Testen both IPS as Xenforo at the moment.

Where it looks like Xenforo migrating is going good, IPS wil not migrate.
It keeps stuck on different tables (smilies and later others). I can't import my topics and users from VB to IPS for some reason.

Anyone ideas?

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Testen both IPS as Xenforo at the moment.

Where it looks like Xenforo migrating is going good, IPS wil not migrate.
It keeps stuck on different tables (smilies and later others). I can't import my topics and users from VB to IPS for some reason.

Anyone ideas?
How are you testing Invision Community? If you're using our demo, the convertors won't work - however, we do regularly convert from vB4, so I know that you definitely will be able to migrate all that data over.

adama

Neophyte
Using indeed a demo version.
I want to insert all my topics, then adjust IPS with add-ons to see if all what i have now on VB add-ons will work as i want before buying a license.
Because mainly i want to do with IPS what i have now on VB 4.2.

Xenforo does import all, however the looks of Xenforo does not work for me i think.
Everything is much bigger in the looks, forumnames, blogs etc, everything is so....... in yout face. And with VB and IPS it's less "in your face".

When i see it works, i will buy a licence.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
PM me your demo link and I'll take a look.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
What do you mean by "in your face?" If it's just the text size that you think is too large, you can easily change that in either of them.

adama

Neophyte
PM me your demo link and I'll take a look.
I can do this, however i was looking to all the features IPS has.
Every add-on i have to pay for, and then every 6 months?
For the most features and add-ons i need, it will cost me a fortune every month only the software?

Why is this?
With VB i have 2 licences, and some add-ons i bought for 1 price lifetime. But mostly are free.

Am i seeing this all wrong?

Or is there like VB also a community like vbulletin.org where designers of add-ons share their software for free?

Chemical

Participant
Hi there,

First, excuse me for my English. I am from The Netherlands, and my English in writing isn't that good!

I own VB4 forums for over 10 years now.
All where difirent, but worked fine for me.
Now the problem is that php7 and higher does not support VB4 for long.
So for security i have to do something.
Upgrade to VB5 is not realy an option. It is totally difirent, can't do with it what i can with VB4.

So i do have to switch to another forum software, but don't know wich is the best!
The main thing is, that there has to be a lot of add-ons / modules i can install like VB4.
And that i can import al my topics and Users from VB4 to the new software.
Because there are 85.000 topics and over 1 million messages.

So i am looking for ideas, and your expertise in this.
Hope you can help me.

Greetings
Adama
My advice to you would be to thoroughly test a short list of candidates. There's hidden gotchas in most software apps and these only become apparent when you deep test, based on your specific use case.

tony45

Enthusiast
For the most features and add-ons i need, it will cost me a fortune every month only the software?
But mostly are free.

Or is there like VB also a community like vbulletin.org where designers of add-ons share their software for free?

"You get what to pay for"

DigNap15

Fan
I use XF, but I dont know about Invision, they seem to be the top 2.
Xenforo has lots of add-ons

Bengie

Participant
I don't think the platform makes the slightest difference, there certainly isn't one that will attract more subscribers than the others
and that is your main priority and goal and the hardest thing to achieve
Competing against the Facebook type of things is nigh on impossible.