What is your operating system of choice?

Which system(s) do you use

• Total voters

Rockatteer

Devotee
Hmm..

the topic says "What is your operating system of choice? "

but the poll asks "Which system(s) do you use"

and then your comment says "I'm curious as to what the other members here use both for personal and server. "

All quite different questions.

scorched_hand

Aspirant
Your "operating systems of choice" are "the systems that you use."
If I am asking the question, then I am being curious.

I answered the poll.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
Arch Linux is my primary, although I don't mind the *BSDs; if I need to go server I'd rather the stability of a BSD (although Debian and CentOS are both nice alternatives). I will admit that I virtualize Windows, but that's only for apps.

Calash

Habitué
Ubuntu for my main PC partition and media server

Windows XP for Main PC Second partition and kids laptop

Windows 7 RC for wife laptop (She loves it. Have to say I am quite impressed myself)

OSX 10.5 on my Powerbook G4 that I resurrected from the dead.

These all get used daily.

Also have a Gentoo built Apple Blueberry, but could never get Xserver to compile on it correctly.

Side note: Ubuntu works fine for servers. Never understood the hardcore hate for it myself.

Yes......I am a geek......:)

blaher

Aspirant
Side note: Ubuntu works fine for servers. Never understood the hardcore hate for it myself.

I don't have any hard core hate against it, I just prefer more stable distros. You say you run ubuntu on your pc, dual boot Debian and you'll see what I mean.

It's not a bad distro itself, except when you compare it to other ones.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
I don't have any hard core hate against it, I just prefer more stable distros. You say you run ubuntu on your pc, dual boot Debian and you'll see what I mean.

Ubuntu practically is Debian. If you're using a LTS server version there's just about no difference. Yeah, Debian stable is far more stable than Ubuntu stable (non LTS) but for a play server, it works fine.

blaher

Aspirant
"Ubuntu practically is Debian."

Don't let any hard core Debian users hear that or they'll stone you :p

But you are right, Ubuntu is based off Debian but that's as close as it gets.

Calash

Habitué

Thats just it, I have never had any stability issues on my server. Desktop is another story but that is due to my experimenting much more than the stability of the OS.

I can definitely understand the attraction of something like Gentoo or Arch especially on a heavy use server environment. Plus it is just fun to compile from source now and then ;)

Short answer, I just don't see the stability problems many people talk about.

Calash

Habitué
I touched on it briefly, but I am very impressed with the direction MS has taken with Win7. The interface feels so much better and driver support just blew me away when I loaded it on my test Laptop.

Kind of wish it was not a Vista kernel, but I can forgive that.

The big test is the Wife test. She loves it even more than WinXP, and she does not take well to computer changes. That alone says something to me about the OS ;).

Supermighty

Adherent
I use Debian Linux on all my servers.

I used to rock Gentoo Linux on my laptop, but decided to move to XP, then Vista, now that I have more of a need for photoshop et al.

BSMedia

Adherent
Windows 7 and I prefer hosting on windows, though do most of it with linux currently

OS_Master

Participant
While I cannot comment on the OS of choice, I use Xubuntu on a 10-year-old PC as an internal testing server, and I have a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual-boot setup on a laptop that's about 2 years old.

vlauria

Adherent
Mac for my personal and 'the cloud' for my forum (it's hosted on Amazon's EC2, technically they're running linux.)