What Is Your Favorite Programming Language And Why?

Ash

Participant
Python for me. It's what I used to create my current website actually (with Flask as well of course). It's such an easy language once you understand it and it's just such a great programming language to use.

thedarkdragon

Neophyte
I am a huge fan of Golang. It is very simple to pick up and yet very powerful and can be used for a lot of things. I mainly use it for API/Back-end web development, but it's also being heavily used in the DevOps space. Golang tries to enforce good programming practices even to new programmers, so I think it's a good language to learn even for beginners. Some may not like the fact that Golang is not a true oop langauge, but I think it made the right choice to move away from oop, but it retains the good concepts of oop (interfaces) and throws away the bad ones (like inheritance abuse).

Cory

Enthusiast
jQuery isn't really a core language, it's a JavaScript library, but it's my most favorite due to its easy usability and all the jam-packed features it has.

JohnFound

Participant
I have written thousands lines of code in different languages: Basic, Forth, Pascal, Delphi, Perl, PHP, JS and even bash, but my favorite and the love of my life is assembly language!

I know many assembly languages for different CPUs. And I am happy that I can write most of my software in assembly language. The feeling to talk to the computer in its own language is priceless. :)

Paul M

Super Moderator
I havent written in assembler since writing 6502 code for my BBC Micro back in the 1980's

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
In the past, I've written in Fortran, Compiler Basic and Visual Basic, a bit of C and C+, a bit of assembler, and PHP. And of course HTML and a bit of javascript...

I must admit that like Paul M my favorite was compiler Basic. Very intuitive and easy to test and debug... :)

jmtullock

Neophyte
PHP is really the only language that I am familiar with, since it was easy to start with when I first got into programming and I really only do web development. I am going to start teaching myself python this summer too.

Sockio

Aspirant
JS or C+. I started out with JS, and learned a bit more about coding from creating templates and such on Wikia.

Rrich

Aspirant
I'm learning Python now as a beginner. Really cool to see everyone's opinion on here.

Rrich

Aspirant
Python for me. It's what I used to create my current website actually (with Flask as well of course). It's such an easy language once you understand it and it's just such a great programming language to use.

How long did it take you to learn this language?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I've always enjoyed PHP, personally. But I've not mastered it by no means. I paid for a cheap video course that I have stashed away to watch fully one day but getting the time to really sit down and learn it is the hardest part about it all. Now that I am in the hiking business though, I'm leaning more towards iOS, Android and such. If I could make an app for my niche, I know it would be used based on the suggestions on my fans and followers. Plus it is a bit more modern these days since everyone can't put their phones down anymore.

But I still have a soft spot for PHP :)

Rrich

Aspirant
I've always enjoyed PHP, personally. But I've not mastered it by no means. I paid for a cheap video course that I have stashed away to watch fully one day but getting the time to really sit down and learn it is the hardest part about it all. Now that I am in the hiking business though, I'm leaning more towards iOS, Android and such. If I could make an app for my niche, I know it would be used based on the suggestions on my fans and followers. Plus it is a bit more modern these days since everyone can't put their phones down anymore.

But I still have a soft spot for PHP :)
What do you use PHP for? Web design?

zappaDPJ

I still dislike and struggle with PHP which is a shame because I seem to be having to use it rather a lot recently :(

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Python and Go are nice, although I like Go as it lets you build programs which can scale to dozens of cores without spinning up dozens of processes (and the inefficiencies that entails), to squeeze lots of power out of the CPU, etc. without feeling like you're going through hell to do it.

It also has a test suite, benchmark tool, profiler, race detector, etc. all out of the box, as-well as packages for JSON, simple HTML templating, a HTTP stack, etc. all in the standard library. Plus, it's built by Google and friends, so it's been hardened against a number of attacks.

The community also seems ot be pretty quick on the uptake of new technologies, it's had a QUIC library for around two years. Long before "HTTP/3" became a thing.

Best of all. Everything in Go is written in Go, so if you want to see how the HTTP stack works, just read the source-code. There are some bits where they call into assembly for efficiency, but those are somewhat uncommon.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
FORTRAN-- Your first is always special!
Lingo(a scripting language)-- was just fun
PostScript-- Purely a business relationship
AppleScript-- It had so much promise, such a disappointment

overcast

Adherent
Python and Javascript. Python for most of the scripting tasks. And the web development specific to javascripts frameworks like React and Express. But for blog and CMS, I prefer PHP.

\o/

an oddity
I found myself writing new web software in either Go or Perl recently, strongly leaning towards Perl. Mojolicious is an awesome framework.

For desktop software, I (seem to) prefer Lazarus/Delphi these days. Almost perfect RAD!