What is your common article length?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I usually write my blog posts around the 900-1,500 word range for each article. I rarely go under 900 words anymore because I tend to have a lot to say in the post and want to give a reader plenty to read for the day. I will however go over 1,500 words especially when submitting guides... sometimes, I go to 5,000 and even over 10,000 words for a single article guide.

How about you all? What are your common word lengths and how far over that will you go for bigger article projects?

Fluorocarbon

Aspirant
For my editorials I try for at least 1000 words or more to get the point understood while having my creativeness in writing. As for common everyday stories, those can range from short to long.

JOSourcing

Aspirant
I get a lot of work that requests a word count between 500 - 1500. But for personal writing, it can range from 200 - 5000. It really depends on how much I have to say about a matter.

davemacc

Fan
I don't really have a particular length I aim for.
I prefer to write and re-write blog posts /articles until I feel that they are clear and concise.

My opinion is people want relevant information rather then a lot of filler content and as a result I tend to write only as much as is needed.

Also sometimes a short update post is all that's needed, just to keep a site looking active if nothing has been posted in a week or 2

dojo

Passionate admin
To be honest I don't count them, but most of the time I jump over the 1K words mark myself. I usually like to write in-depth articles and I type fast :D

Sylvain

Enthusiast
I usually write what I have to write and don't mind about word count. It can goes from 100 words to 1800 words

Alundra

SMF Friend
I've never counted before!

After counting I am between 600-900 words per article. I actually find that quite surprising, I'm used to writing far more.

jekyll

Enthusiast
It all depends. I do my casual blogging somewhere between 10 and 200 words, the longest "blog essays" I wrote were around 1,400 words (both were about music). I don't see a reason to use more words than necessary.

Alundra

SMF Friend
Do you guys find people actually read all of the content or do they drop out after a while? Have you done any tests? Used Analytics to find out?

jekyll

Enthusiast
I know some of my readers in real life, I know they are still there. :D

And I tend to make small jokes in my texts. According to the comments, people read them.

Alundra

SMF Friend
Oh well that's completely different, you're basically cracked.com ha ha.

Alundra

SMF Friend
I devour their articles, but it's because I'm learning stuff and I get to laugh at their stupid pictures and jokes. Also because I am learning **** without effort. If I had to write those articles (and believe me I tried it) I would kill myself XD.

stevencon

Neophyte
When I write articles, I usually averaged between 300 to 600 words. But sometimes I can even go for 1,000+ words. But no matter how many words it is as long the content is in good quality, for sure Google will love it and you may continue gaining benefits with them.

Aurimas

Neophyte
It depends on where I am writing. I have a few blogs and they are targeting different people - some of them are for basic users of a certain thing, osme of them are for those advanced ones. I am writing about hosting market, so some blogs for beginners contains of 300-500 words per text. For advanced users I write more analytic things that are mostly between 500-1000 words.

Shine Pham

Aspirant
I usually write my blog posts around the 900-1,500 word range for each article. I rarely go under 900 words anymore because I tend to have a lot to say in the post and want to give a reader plenty to read for the day. I will however go over 1,500 words especially when submitting guides... sometimes, I go to 5,000 and even over 10,000 words for a single article guide.

How about you all? What are your common word lengths and how far over that will you go for bigger article projects?
i usually write 1500 - 2000 word for article. i think it good for SEO and google like that :)