What is the WORST forum software you've seen?

ThornInYourSide

Participant
Do I have to repeat the title in the post? :badwords::hiding:

I've seen a few that just plain have to be home brewed. But at least they worked ... sort of.

There is a company out there named after a metal or battery or psychiatric drug (don't know if I should post it) that has contracts with huge companies. It's totally pathetic to me after having used so many real forums.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
If your are referring to Lithium, it's long gone. It was acquired by a private equity firm who also acquired Spredfast and merged the two companies to form Khoros. I've had some experience using Lithium but not Khoros. Comparing Lithium as it was to forum platforms the majority of us are more familiar with is somewhat akin to comparing apples and oranges. Lithium/Khoros is aimed at a different market with very deep pockets.

Personally, vBulletin 5 is the worst forum software I've seen and used both as an admin and user by some margin. The primary reason is because of the massive bug count which remains as high as the day it was launched.

KimmiKat

Adherent
I agree with vB5 being crapola. They went downhill when the bean counters took over. One time it was the gold standard in mboard software.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
I'm sure there is a lot of crap forum software out there if you look hard enough.
Out of the most well known ones, I would add to the above and say vB5 is the worst Ive experienced.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
If your are referring to Lithium, it's long gone. Lithium/Khoros is aimed at a different market with very deep pockets.

Personally, vBulletin 5 is the worst forum software I've seen
Yeah. I was assaulted by their attempt at a forum on eBay, Etsy and USAA.

Haven't seen VB5 that I know of.
I tried SMF years ago. I thought it was awful.
I like SMF, but I wish the Admin section was laid out better. Hard to find where to make changes for Permissions sometimes.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I only used it as a user, but I don't think there was anything wrong with Lithium, at least back in the mid-2000s.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
I once helped a forum migrate to XenForo and I forget its name but it was ASP based and very 90s-esque and its default was to store passwords in plain text in the user table.

On the plus side it made migrating the passwords to a secure hash much easier…

cdub24

Enthusiast
Groupee Eve Community? Live cloud? Social Strata? Hoop.la? Or whatever the heck they're called now. They change their name every year. I think they're now Crowdstack?

But it was a hosted forum solution I used from 2001 until 2013 when I switched to XF.

They were fine except for the constant rebranding.

Jura

Devotee
If your are referring to Lithium, it's long gone. It was acquired by a private equity firm who also acquired Spredfast and merged the two companies to form Khoros. I've had some experience using Lithium but not Khoros. Comparing Lithium as it was to forum platforms the majority of us are more familiar with is somewhat akin to comparing apples and oranges. Lithium/Khoros is aimed at a different market with very deep pockets.
Don't know how Lithium was in its last days, but I assume it has services that went beyond just developing the software. I had very fond memories of it way back as a user for this one site. They allowed HTML in threads/replies.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Community Server from back in the day. ASP based, was pretty awful.

Also, I really, really hated the first few iterations of Discourse. Haven't seen any lately to see if it's still awful.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Some mboard software which might be fine now had horrid versions back in the time. Such Invision Board and Discourse.

Alpha1

Administrator
I once helped a forum migrate to XenForo and I forget its name but it was ASP based and very 90s-esque and its default was to store passwords in plain text in the user table.

On the plus side it made migrating the passwords to a secure hash much easier…
webwizforums?
I used that for several years and it still gives me a nostalgic feel. But moving away from that was an excellent decision.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
Around 1998 to 2002 I was administrator on a forum that used asp on a windows server, and Im pretty sure those passwords were plain as well.
No one really cared about it back then, hacking wasnt a big thing. I worked on the code as well and added/modified sections of the functionality.
The forum was for DigiGuide. They are still going (bought out in 2010) but the forum is long gone.

Smokey

Enthusiast
WebWhiz was awful. I remember when GameShark moved from IGNboards to Webwhiz before settling on IPB before they ultimately closed their doors permanently.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Whatever the **** the GitHub is using right now. I don't know the name of the system, buy I'm seeing all around the internet.

I don't know what the devs are thinking, mixing a Forum style in the root with a very bad usability, some kind of failure to mix the visual of a social network of some kind? Horrible.