What is the best DDoS protection service?

KnownHost

Participant
Hmmm,

Out of those Akamia is going to be one of the most expensive but top tier providers. No direct experience with them but they do have a reputation.

CloudFlare does pretty decent, we have a good bit of experience with them, however it really depends on what kind of DDoS you are talking about. If it's a port that CloudFlare protects you're in great shape, but if they get a whiff of your IP and start sending UDP floods or similar you'll end up needing a full scrubbing service that filters 100% of the traffic to your IP and not just a proxy. Those can get pretty pricey pretty quick and usually require either on-site hardware and capacity or GRE tunnel setups to filter the traffic.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Dont use any, never have.

Our site really isnt that important enough for anyone to bother (which is a good thing I guess).

KnownHost

Participant
Dont use any, never have.

Our site really isnt that important enough for anyone to bother (which is a good thing I guess).
In a lot of ways it really is a good thing, (not being small but just not being bothered). It really doesn't take much for someone to really make a website operators life difficult by sending various attacks it's direction.

Banxix

Enthusiast
They won't lie I guess. Used a lot of Compute Engine service however yet to face any DDoS attacks so I'm not sure.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
'Best' is really subjective. No solution can suit both hobbyists and large corporate-run networks, especially with how some vendors are really expensive.

Cloudflare is a popular ddos protection but many webhosts operate their branded service (often resold solutions from more established vendors) which hobbyist may find a lore more suitable for their budget.