Question What is Spam and what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTERiS

Neophyte
I got a big surprise a few minutes ago, when visiting the site I found the follow alert.

1590158482507.png

I covered the thread title, to avoid more ....spamming. I wonder why a reply to a question "What is the best solution for this ......", a reply like "For me, this ..... solution maybe is good for you" counts as spam?. It was out of topic? No. It was on topic. It was advertisement? Maybe, but there are 100's of similar replies here from authors with links to their scripts/templates. As long as the reply is on topic, why you count it as Spam? This way, even my signature can be spam.

Last but not least. For this link, that you found as spam, I've paid to this site to have it as Sponsored Thread. In addition, I think that I've supported TAZ as much as I can, by releasing in the Resources section, the most popular of my mods for free.

Sorry to say, but I feel very disappointed.

Best regards,
Chris

ChrisTERiS

Neophyte
MagicalAzareal Exactly. And the question is "Which forum software offers the best photo/video gallery implementation? " For me, my reply was on topic, and as you can see it also gives warnings for missing features. Really, haven't seen any "advertisement" to notify for missing features.

jair101

Participant
Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but when it comes to threads like this, self-promoting should be forbidden. I know that you have the best intentions in mind, but this is one of the areas that it is very difficult to formulate a robust definition of the type "this type of self-promotion is allowed, this one is not".

If an exception is made for you, then it would have to be made for a just registered account that does the same. And most probably he won't be as honest as you. The fact that you have sponsored thread and you are of great benefit to the community here should not play role in the decision where such replies are allowed or not.

If your product is compelling, you should count on other members mentioning it, not promoting it yourself.

Just my 2c.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I personally disagree with it, but I respect TLChris' implied rationale for it (stopping people from jumping threads and dropping straight ads in salesman mode). There are plenty of places on here where you can try to sell ideas to the people and get them to take interest in your software.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Throwing a tantrum really isn't helping your case now if you're expecting that to do something.

Reactions: ehd
Status
Not open for further replies.