What forum software do DaniWeb use?

RonalBarbaren

Neophyte
I'm fall in love with UI and feature of DaniWeb. I googled but got a little info
Wiki said:
exclusively on top of the vBulletin forum framework (in the first quarter of 2012, DaniWeb converted from vBulletin to a framework developed in-house).
Do anyone know language and how long they can make it?
Thank in advance :)
P/s : Kathy & cscgal

Last edited by a moderator:

cscgal

Adherent
It's written in PHP on top of CodeIgniter. Everything is written in-house. ... and thanks soooo much!! :)

SAFAD

Developer
13 years ago!!

This is me today: https://twitter.com/daniweb

Holly lord! I have an off topic question though.
I change my profile picture on all the sites i use frequently, why are you keeping this one on TAZ? (sorry for the intrusion though :p)

Also, why develop something from scratch if there are many solutions out there that you can customise as you wish? Apart from headaches due to the patching when new things come out...

GTB

Tazmanian
LOL, why do you think that's a real picture if me? I don't have ears that big. :eek:

doubt

Tazmanian
cscgal : I could access it today but seems it's not functioning anymore as it used to.
It's a mess.
Did you give up on it?

cscgal

Adherent
It's a mess.
Did you give up on it?

Sorry for taking so long to see this and bumping this thread. We basically got clobbered by Google's algorithms and were never able to recover. Couple that with Stack Overflow and Reddit.

I'm still focused on DaniWeb fulltime but it really is a mess now compared to where we were just a few years ago.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Your site is very impressive. Shame with the Google rankings which was a big reason why I stop doing content sites and moved mainly to selling services.
Hopefully things will come back right now might be a good time. Maybe see if you can rank in some other search engines such as duckduckgo which seems to be growing.

overcast

Adherent
I remember when I was member there. It was VBulletin then it switched out to be different later custom.

cscgal

Adherent
So why do you still use a 13 year old avatar of yourself? o_O

Because when I first started being active in the forum admin community, that's what I looked like. My car's license plate at the time was CSCGAL because I was actively pursuing a Computer SCience degree, so I used cscgal as my username. For the purposes of branding myself, I've kept the same username / avatar over the years.

cscgal

Adherent
Also, why develop something from scratch if there are many solutions out there that you can customise as you wish? Apart from headaches due to the patching when new things come out...

For that very reason. We started with phpBB. Then upgraded to vBulletin. We were super heavily modded, all custom mods, so every time we upgraded to a new version of vBulletin, I had to rewrite all of the mods. It really felt like I was constantly trying to stick a square peg into a round hole, and the entire thing was very Macgyver'ed.

Then vB was sold to Internet Brands and it was time to either upgrade to vBulletin 4 (not an option, let's be realistic) or to Xenforo. Switching to Xenforo or IPB would have taken a lot of my time to first learn a whole new framework, and then port over all my mods in a way that would actually make sense with the new system. After weighing all the options, I realized that I was able to create something from scratch, specifically catered for my needs, with my unique functionality built in, in a quicker amount of time than it would take me to learn Xenforo to the level that I was familiar with vBulletin, and rewrite all of my mods. Without all of the bloat for system features my members didn't really want or need, without an admin panel, etc., I was able to create something much more efficiently coded as well. Funnily enough, I went the custom route because reinventing the wheel was actually the most efficient option at the time.

Your site is very impressive. Shame with the Google rankings which was a big reason why I stop doing content sites and moved mainly to selling services.
Hopefully things will come back right now might be a good time. Maybe see if you can rank in some other search engines such as duckduckgo which seems to be growing.

Thank you! Yeah, it's been a struggle trying to keep up with the times. I tried to pivot into a business networking tool and ended up getting a patent out of it (we now hold the patent for matching users online based on chat/forum behavior), but have been having a difficult time monetizing.

overcast

Adherent
Sorry for taking so long to see this and bumping this thread. We basically got clobbered by Google's algorithms and were never able to recover. Couple that with Stack Overflow and Reddit.
I'm still focused on DaniWeb fulltime but it really is a mess now compared to where we were just a few years ago.

Couple of Suggestion for Daniweb.

Please take a look at the website Hashnode. They invite people for AMA. And the user questions are added into AMA. Which can later be cleaned and filtered for the final interview thread article. This can be a good way for content which can get pretty good traffic. Also in context of monetization. I think you can use similar model like what most tech blogs and forums are doing. Expert sessions inside private membership. All the best! I used to be active member and even forgot my username after years of inactivity.