What forum software did you start with?

Which forum software did you first use?

• Total voters

TJA

Resident Sheep Fondler
phpBB (circa 2000/2001) > IPB > stopped for a while > vB4 > Xenforo

K730

Enthusiast
Probably a good topic to revive for some nostalgia ;) I started with Ezboards and Ikonboard 1.
20 years of looking at Matt M's code, not much has changed :p
Nearly all startup communities ended in cjb.net back then :LOL:

Some interesting ones not listed in the menu would be Mercury Board, MyTopix and YaBB.
I remember YaBB having a niche following, YaBB SE was quite nice :geek:

southernlady

Devotee
Started with PHPBB, then moved to an early version of vB (just before 3 came out), then I tried Simple Machines cause I wanted a second forum but didn’t want to use a paid one. At one point I tried IPB but that was back in the day you could sell it, thought about going back to vB but it was after 4 had come out. Then I discovered XF in the very early days. Still using that one.

Arcade King

Aspirant
Aussie Arcade started on Yabb then VB3, 3.5, 4 and 5. Hoping to move to Invision or Xenforo in the next future.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Started with Ikonboard, then that went kaput. Next was InvisionBoard, but dumped it due to the maker's constant policy changes. Next was vB, but let that one go when the bean counters took over. Then finally XF until I finally took the board down.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Probably a good topic to revive for some nostalgia ;) I started with Ezboards and Ikonboard 1.
20 years of looking at Matt M's code, not much has changed :p
Sorry about that.

Started with Ikonboard, then that went kaput. Next was InvisionBoard, but dumped it due to the maker's constant policy changes. Next was vB, but let that one go when the bean counters took over. Then finally XF until I finally took the board down.
Two products that I wrote grew your site, and xF killed it.

Sorry to hear that.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Sorry about that.

Two products that I wrote grew your site, and xF killed it.

Sorry to hear that.
You are more gracious than I might be in the same situation.

.Rogue

The Thinker
Started with InvisionFree, went on to IPB on and off for just over 16 years up until early this year. I used to love the early years of IP.

Taylor J

Fan
Started with InvisionFree, went on to IPB on and off for just over 16 years up until early this year. I used to love the early years of IP.
Can't lie I miss version 2. It had one of the best if not the best shoutbox addons ever made and a whole bunch of other great addons that I never saw anywhere else.

If I could I would probably start up a new site on v2.

.Rogue

The Thinker
Can't lie I miss version 2. It had one of the best if not the best shoutbox addons ever made and a whole bunch of other great addons that I never saw anywhere else.

If I could I would probably start up a new site on v2.
V2 was the best ever. Something we will never get back again.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
What are the mods that you’re missing from more modern platforms? What about the v2 experience was so compelling that you still don’t have its functionality today?