What forum software did you start with?

Which forum software did you first use?

• Total voters
Simple poll, which forum software did you get started on?

I cut my teeth on UBB (ubb.classic) versions 5.x and 6.x and later moved on to vBulletin 2. :)

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
The first forum I stumbled across was on ezboard (now known as Yuku). I didn't go from member to mod path, I ventured across a forum, had a read (didn't even register at the site), thought "hey I can do that" and went off and made a site of my own :D

Mark.B

Tazmanian
XMB.

The late, great, XMB, back in 2002.

Learned some basics of php coding on it too...since if you didn't you couldn't make it do anything non-standard.

I spent two years trying to make it look a bit like vBulletin (vB 2.3 at the time) before saving up and purchasing the real thing.....which is where I am now!

The first forum I stumbled across was on ezboard (now known as Yuku). I didn't go from member to mod path, I ventured across a forum, had a read (didn't even register at the site), thought "hey I can do that" and went off and made a site of my own :D

I remember visiting a lot of good ezboards way back in the day, but the UBB forums were always better. Most of them had the usual hacks installed (avatars, private messaging, super moderators) so they were just easier to use and run. The better ones had even hacked the layout a little (which required editing the perl, no templates back then :p) and it was always neat to see one of those because for the most part almost every forum was using the same layout back then except for color/logo changes.

Oh a cool thing about ezboards! Remember the ezboard -> vBulletin importer back in the 2.x days? I don't blame you if you don't but that thing was just so damn cool. It would scrape your ezboard, much like googlebot scrapes your site, and pull the posts/users and all the other information it could.

It'd take all that data and put it in the MySQL database for you and allow you to get running under vB 2.x with almost not loss in data. I even think it allowed you to import your users with a little work (think it relied on getting their e-mail addresses and sending them random passwords via e-mail but I could be wrong).

The old days were so much fun, I remember when I made the jump from ubb.classic 6.05 to vBulletin 2.0.x. It was a _huge_ leap forward and the first time I'd ever used MySQL and php. Up until that point it was all perl, flat files, and fighting with CGI to get my perl to run correctly. I looooooved UBB to the point of begin a huge fan boy but if I would have known what I was missing I would had jumped ship a lot sooner (probably back in the vB 1.x days, I had been following it since it came out). Infopop ended up chasing me and a bunch of people off at the same time with their really high prices. I originally just moved over to vBulletin because it was about half the cost.

GTB

Tazmanian
Thinking back now, pretty sure I used a Perl forum (unknown one), not around today anymore, tried a few Perl forums first before using PHP based ones - like "YaBB". Later ended up trying Ikonboard (when Matt Mecham was still there I think) and phpBB2. Later used IPB 1.3 (which was free at the time I think), then learned about vBulletin buying that when at vBulletin 2 stage. Tried many others in-between to see what they was like, was they any good. Never used XMB though, which I know many did use.

petertdavis

Not a Beginner
I started my first forum on phpBB, back in 2002, but I was on it for less than a year (kept getting hacked), so I switched to vBulletin 2. I was very happy with vBulletin for many years, then vBulletin 4 happened.

BigStamp

Aspirant
My first site used joomla, and we used IPB for the forum on the side, but didn't get into it, then I had a few years break and when I really got into forums started with vbulletin, but things seem to have gone full circle and I'm back with IPB

trombone13

Participant
My first forum was on InvisionFree (hey, I was 15 or 16 :p), which then migrated to ZetaBoards when it was released.

Ramses-AdEx

Neophyte
7 or 8 years ago first forum ever I installed was WoltLab wbb 2 light or free, don't remember the exact name. After playing a bit with it I bought vB3.5.

MikeDance

Aspirant
I started with vb3.8.0 then worked upto vb4.0.0 which was rubbish now i use the best (XenForo)

dojo

Passionate admin
PhpBB. Started working with it in 2003, I think. Loved it until it became outdated for my needs. Well, actually the 3x series made me switch to anything else. Since I got some money in my PayPal account I switched to VB and was pretty pleased with it back then.

Lee R

Participant
I started with openBB probably around 2001 - 2002 and then moved to IPB at version 1.0.

Now I don't currently have a forum running, but if I did it would be IPB again right now. I would love to use xenForo, but with the impending lawsuit it just doesn't make sense.