What do you use to connect to FTP?

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I've always used FileZilla and have used it for years. And generally - without any issues at all.

It was recently pointed out at https://theadminzone.com/threads/hello-can-anyone-be-kind-to-help-me-out.138875/ that FileZilla has issues. Whether it be incomplete transfers or the program actually installing malware (see this thread :( ) .... there are just issues that has me thinking ==> It's time to move on.

So - I'm in the market for a decent FTP client, one that's secure with no exploits or issues. What are you guys using to connect to FTP? Free or premium program - doesn't matter. I'm looking for something secure and easy to use. Will appreciate recommendations! Thanks.

J.

Adam H

** Retired **
I still use Filezilla, although it keeps prompting me to update which im not doing on purpose at the moment as ive not got enough time in the day to start fixing a potential bad download.

Years ago ( and i mean like 10 years ago ) I used to use CuteFTP , not sure if they are still around but they were "the" commercial alternative in those days. Im sure there is plenty more options now so will watch this thread myself to see what people come up with.

doubt

Tazmanian
I'm using FileZilla but WinSCP is installed on my machine as well.

PoetJC

I still use Filezilla, although it keeps prompting me to update which im not doing on purpose at the moment as ive not got enough time in the day to start fixing a potential bad download.

Years ago ( and i mean like 10 years ago ) I used to use CuteFTP , not sure if they are still around but they were "the" commercial alternative in those days. Im sure there is plenty more options now so will watch this thread myself to see what people come up with.
zappaDPJ has scared me something terribly as concerns FileZilla. I'm not at all tech savvy and if someone who is tech savvy sees issues with it - then I'm following the lead or at least doing some due diligence research LOL. Sorta wish I hadn't upgraded it a few days ago - because that's around the time my PC started acting up :(

And ha! First FTP client I ever used was CuteFTP! It was a great program - but when I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 ... there were compatibility issues. It was a very good FTP client as far as I can tell.

I'm using FileZilla but WinSCP is installed on my machine as well.
Tracy Perry mentioned WinSCP earlier. Will definitely give it a look.
Thanks!

J.

Adam H

** Retired **
And ha! First FTP client I ever used was CuteFTP! It was a great program - but when I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 ... there were compatibility issues. It was a very good FTP client as far as I can tell.

J.

That compatibility issue and really slow update to fix it i "think" might have been what made me change to Filezilla aswell or something similar :)

PoetJC

Okay. Working on an IPB design and uploading some files via WinSCP.
I do not like this program. It's not quite as intuitive as FileZilla. But after the recent issues I've experienced - I'm sorta terrified of installing FileZilla again :(
What to do - what to do???! :cry:

J.

PoetJC

Don't download from sourceforge.
I use Filehippo -> http://filehippo.com/download_filezilla/

6,194 KB seems it doesn't have Malware.

It's about 100kb larger than sourceforge. Though Filehippo offers 32bit version, sourceforge is 64bit.

How sure are we that the Filehippo file is unaffected by malware? AND what's the difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit program? Is there only a difference in terms of the filesize?

I kinda want search and see if I can find my CuteFTP license arg.

J.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
If FTP apps Filezilla and winSCP are too retro for your needs now, maybe consider Cyberduck (java-based, opensource, actively developped, lots of progressist features).
Its companion app MountainDuck can be a big help if you use remote storage all the time (mounts them as windows partitions). Simplifies workflows.

doubt

Tazmanian
How sure are we that the Filehippo file is unaffected by malware?
I'm unaffected with the FZ updates and checking the sizes of the files on my PC the one from Filehippo isn't larger.

Joseph Mike

Neophyte
filezilla best for you. you install winscp as well .select your file protocol. when you are about to use ftps protocol ,select ftp and then choose one of the ftps invocation method.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I've been using WinSCP for years. PoetJC, what do you find lacking in it? I would agree, it is aimed more at the "hard-core" kind of user. But, still, it is pretty straight forward.

Scott

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
If FTP apps Filezilla and winSCP are too retro for your needs now, maybe consider Cyberduck (java-based, opensource, actively developped, lots of progressist features).
What's Cyberduck like? (I'm on OSX). Good for OSX? Looking for a replacement for FileZilla.

Steve

Fanatic
FlashFXP is what I have been using for close to 10 years now I think. Solid program, regularly updated and simple to use. It isn't free but I think you still get lifetime updates.