What do you use to connect to FTP?

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
It's a good client provided not coming with rubbish to install.
You can get the free version without the junk, you just have to know the trick in getting that version the first time, then you're good. The paid version comes without the junk for sure.

doubt

Tazmanian
Thanks.
Would you tell me please why should I pay for it when it has the free version?
I cannot find a site where I could see the advantages of FZ Pro.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Thanks.
Would you tell me please why should I pay for it when it has the free version?
I cannot find a site where I could see the advantages of FZ Pro.
You could just recognise that software of any type takes time and money and it could just be a way of saying thank you to the creator. It doesn't have to be about what you get out of it.

I firmly take the view that if someone has taken the time and trouble to build something that I use, that I give something back, whether that's my money or my time (and that doesn't just mean I "donate my ideas", but offer support, tracking down bugs etc), and I'd encourage more people to do so.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
#1 reason I don't buy certain FTP software is most only allow one simultaneous connection. So slow.

#2 reason is poor logging/queuing display

I know everyone is all down on FileZilla (even Pro, which I have) but it hits all my check boxes and no one else so far has been able to.
I've had issues when upgrading to a newer version of FileZilla. It seemed an automated download had installed some adware of some sort. I've since fixed that issue - but the underline/bolded portion of your post above is exactly why I've stuck with FileZilla. It is the only software that does exactly what I want it to do, when I want to do it. The GUI is excellent and the functionality is superb ... IF you have the best version installed (more about that below...) But wow... I'm not even sure I knew a pro version of FileZilla even existed. And it's only $9.95 ==> WOW! Thanks for the info.

It's a good client provided not coming with rubbish to install.
You can get the free version without the junk, you just have to know the trick in getting that version the first time, then you're good. The paid version comes without the junk for sure.
The version I use (and have had absolutely no problems with as concerns installing the rubbish) FileZilla 3.15.0.2
It's a sourceforge download - so you'd definitely need to run the downloaded file through your anti-malware/anti-virus programs. Once installed - you most definitely want to "NEVER" check for automated updates:
filezilla.jpg

So... I've been using 3.15.0.2 version with absolutely no issues.
It's really a great program - especially considering it's open source!!!
Now kinda thinking of buying the pro version as a way to not only support the software's development - but also to have a sense of security going forward with the latest-greatest version, without having to worry about bloatware and such. I've used Filezilla for 10+ years now and perhaps it is time to support the developers. Hmmm...

J.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I use FileZilla...my FTP needs are relativey simple, and it does exactly what I need to do. :)

doubt

Tazmanian
Now kinda thinking of buying the pro version
Done:
FileZilla Pro
-------------

Version: 3.29.0

Build information:
Compiled for: x86_64-w64-mingw32
Compiled on: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Build date: 2017-11-06
Compiled with: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 6.3.0 20170516
Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall

Linked against:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4
SQLite: 3.19.3
GnuTLS: 3.5.13

Operating system:
Name: Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit edition
Version: 10.0
Platform: 64-bit system
CPU features: sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 avx avx2 aes pclmulqdq rdrnd bmi2 bmi2 adx
Settings dir: C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla\

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
It's a sourceforge download - so you'd definitely need to run the downloaded file through your anti-malware/anti-virus programs. Once installed - you most definitely want to "NEVER" check for automated updates:
You don't have to worry about this if you download the free version using this handy guide I wrote:
Go to the repository: https://download.filezilla-project.org/client/

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the "latest win64-setup.exe" and click that. It's a direct download, it will not take you to Sourceforge (i.e. not bundled). Install that, and when you upgrade, it will download direct from FileZilla so you won't get crapware installed, at least, I never did.
Just checked, yup, still there

PoetJC

My brand new toy(FileZilla Pro)allows 10 of them.
I meant to post earlier - but the free version FileZilla 3.15.0.2 also allows up to 10 "simultaneous transfers" -- which I *think* is concurrent connections to the server -- with unlimited concurrent downloads/uploads:
2017-11-11_2-15-53.jpg

Is the settings screencap - Perhaps someone can clarify?

J.

doubt

Tazmanian
I meant to post earlier - but the free version FileZilla 3.15.0.2 also allows up to 10 "simultaneous transfers" -- which I *think* is concurrent connections to the server -- with unlimited concurrent downloads/uploads:
I'm confused:
FZ_limits.PNG

Limit for concurrent downloads-uploads cannot be increased to 11
Okay, 0 should be able to do that.

Maximum simultaneous transfers: 5 in my setup.
How can it accept 10+10=20 downloads-uploads?
They are the simultaneous transfers, are not they?

PoetJC

I'm confused:
View attachment 49361

Limit for concurrent downloads-uploads cannot be increased to 11
Okay, 0 should be able to do that.

Maximum simultaneous transfers: 5 in my setup.
Hmmm. I *think* the "Maximum Simultaneous Transfers" = actual connections to the server.
So while you can have only a maximum of 10 connections to the server at one point - you can have an unlimited amount of active downloads/uploads each vying for a connection to the server? IDK... It's slightly confusing :confused:

J.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
My brand new toy(FileZilla Pro)allows 10 of them.
FileZilla was one of a number of clients that got me temp banned from servers for opening up too many connections. The server owners suggested I was attempting to open up hundreds (possibly even more) of connections.

I suspect the answer to that question will also provide an explanation to my problem :)