What do you use to connect to FTP?

radu81

Fan
Currently have the older version 3.15.0.2 installed with updates set to never auto-update...
I just checked and I use the same version, it's the version provided from Synaptic Package Manager on Linux Mint 18.
I use filezilla since ever, I always installed it from official package manager and I doubt it had/has malware.
Screenshot from 2017-06-17 22-53-14.png

Apart Filezilla sometimes I use the default file manager NEMO included in linux mint
pasted_image.png

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Everything you mentioned would throw red flags for me. No thanks I'll stick with my "POS" FlashFXP and WinSCP...
Agree... Transmit is doing a great job for me on the Mac, and yes, it's a paid (and some would say expensive) package - but I like some of it's features.

rastaX

Aspirant
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll go ahead and throw it into the mix.

I use a FireFox plugin called FireFTP. Been using it for years with little or no issues. It's probably not the fastest and not sure what features it may not have that others would want. But for my purposes it does the job. Very simple interface, local files in a single pane on the left and single pane with remote files on the right. A mouse hover over tab displays progress. I've found it highly useful to have FTP in an open tab on my browser.

I've also got Filezilla installed on my computer, but rarely use it.

Twerse19

Neophyte
This is an interesting thread. I second the person who says they like WebDrive. I am a recent convert from Filezilla and I have to say I am quite happy so far.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
People still use the insecure protocol for uploading?

SFTP all the way with WinSCP for me.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
People still use the insecure protocol for uploading?

SFTP all the way with WinSCP for me.
More people are moving towards secure protocols nowadays. Some have even moved beyond that, and use Git repositories, complete with public / private keys, that deploy between staging and production - completely disallowing direct uploads entirely, which is very beneficial as it leaves a paper trail of "who changed what."

I'm seeing these types of setups more and more even on hobby sites.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
WinSCP, thats all I have used for about the last 8 years.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I dont think WinSCP has any limits, I suspect you can set that on the server though.

Its not something I have ever needed to do, so I cannot be 100% certain..

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I dont think WinSCP has any limits, I suspect you can set that on the server though.

Its not something I have ever needed to do, so I cannot be 100% certain..
OK, thanks. I have a problem in that some of the servers I connect to have limits set that I can't change, presumably to stop flooding. If a client opens up too many connections it temp bans the IP.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I don't understand what that is, can you tell me more :)
Normal FTP is port 21 that is passive an active connection the sever asks the client to open another connection. So you have 2 connections on SFTP you should have room for 4. I have atm got 2 max on my server so when i SSH (old program) and want to use in that program SFTP it cant be done because i cant connect so i get an error, this is because my client is to old. Now newer programs have an issue to some clients you think you connect SFTP but because you did not specify the protocol it can start connecting on FTP instead of SFTP. This is an issue i have atm and still need to solve some how the FTP server is not running in SFTP mode i think this is how i installed plesk. You’ll need to read about your FTP server that you run and see what needs to be done. If you have cpanel you should be able to alter it.

What i do most of the time is making sure i know what is running as server and then look with webmin because webmin shows more options plus you can see the config file without SSH connection. If you go this route 2 way authentication is needed in webmin.

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
#1 reason I don't buy certain FTP software is most only allow one simultaneous connection. So slow.

#2 reason is poor logging/queuing display

I know everyone is all down on FileZilla (even Pro, which I have) but it hits all my check boxes and no one else so far has been able to.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
More people are moving towards secure protocols nowadays. Some have even moved beyond that, and use Git repositories, complete with public / private keys, that deploy between staging and production - completely disallowing direct uploads entirely, which is very beneficial as it leaves a paper trail of "who changed what."

I'm seeing these types of setups more and more even on hobby sites.
When I do big production deployments at work where I have maybe 20,000 files to manage as part of the platform, there's no question of whether I'm going to use that or not. I don't even manually push to staging, I push to a repo which manages merging branches to even push to staging.

But for hobbyist stuff, I'm the only admin and it's usually a couple of hundred files total being managed, for which WinSCP is my weapon of choice.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I use FlashFXP and it can do FTP, SFTP and 3 modes of SSL including TSL. Been using this for so long now i started with FlashFXP 3.x payed once and still do not have to pay and its $29,95.