What do you use to connect to FTP?

Nabix

I've honestly always use the built in file manager in cPanel. Apart from that if it wasn't an option I would then use FileZilla.

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
I went ahead and tried out FlashFXP again and purchased it, It's just like the old days when I used it, clean, fast and no lag...love it!
Might have to try this.

I did actually have a bad FZ download once, my KAV caught it and I was able to rid myself of the malware pretty easily, no problems since. The automatic upgrade works fine

I think my issue was simply clicking the wrong link on the sourceforge dl page. You gotta watch that. The ads on there are made to look like the download link but instead they initiate a mimic download, I think that's where the junk comes from.

But...the plain-text password? That's a big hole. I'll be moving on

Maddox WSFTP man that's old school bro!! I used to use that exclusive. Digital high five

Maddox

Habitué
Floyd R Turbo DHF back at you. I used to use Cute FTP Pro and had no problems with for years but for some reason, it wouldn't play nice when it came to SFTP so I trialled WS_FTP and it worked fine, so went ahead and bought the latest version. Took me a little while to get used to it again but all is peachy now.

:)

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I tried a myriad of different FTP clients and none of them worked as well for me as FileZilla...
Currently have the older version 3.15.0.2 installed with updates set to never auto-update...

filezilla.png

... and haven't had any malware issues since installing it.
It could be that the newer versions downloaded from sourceforge have some malware packaged in it? IDK...

J.

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
I have never had any malware come in on the automatic updates. I just went to the site directly (filezilla-project) and the d/l link there is the one that ends in "-bundled" and I'm pretty sure that was the one that had issues. I sent to the "other download areas" or whatever link (took a bit to find it) and that went to sourceforge and that one was just "-setup"...now I can't recall which one hit me but like I said, I haven't had any issues ever with the automatic update. In fact I save that file for when I need to install it on new machines, done that on dozens of PCs without issue.

That being said, I d/l flashfxp the other day, need to try that.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I've never had problems with Filezilla updates either and I did use it for many years. It was a recent, fresh installation that caused me extensive problems. Regardless, I wasn't particularly happy when I found out all the FTP connection data was being stored in plain text. Whether that is still the case I really don't know but it's something you might want to check if you are using it.

Danielx64

Developer
I've never had problems with Filezilla updates either and I did use it for many years. It was a recent, fresh installation that caused me extensive problems. Regardless, I wasn't particularly happy when I found out all the FTP connection data was being stored in plain text. Whether that is still the case I really don't know but it's something you might want to check if you are using it.
I wonder if other FTP clients do the same thing

doubt

Tazmanian
I found out all the FTP connection data was being stored in plain text. Whether that is still the case I really don't know but it's something you might want to check if you are using it.
It's still the same.
You can export-import it from one installation to another.

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
So, a little known thing apparently.

FileZilla now uses encrypted password storage in both the free and pro versions

Oh yeah, there is a paid Pro version now for just $9.95 that is adware/malware free, no bundle, but it's a super secret apparently. It's not really advertised, and when you get to the page, it looks shady. But it's for real yo.

Go here

https://filezilla-project.org/

Do not click the "Download" link on the sidebar. Just click the button/image "Download FileZilla Client"

In the pop-up, click the "Select" button under "FileZilla Pro"

fzp.JPG

This takes you to the suspicious looking shopping cart on upclick's website, but it's the real deal. Once you purchase, you get a link to the Pro Support forum, which is completely separate from the public forum.

Thread where I ask all the questions: https://forum.filezilla-project.org...&sid=c4ec3be60bdc2e3301fcfc1ab9702d52#p156520

I've tried FlashFXP, CoffeeCupFTP & Pro, and several others...sorry, not the same, no way I'm paying $20 or $40 for those POSs, that's JMO. FileZilla is the bomb. As far as the malware-infested versions go, there's a trick to this if you don't want to pay $9.95 and want ad free

Go to the repository: https://download.filezilla-project.org/client/

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the "latest win64-setup.exe" and click that. It's a direct download, it will not take you to Sourceforge (i.e. not bundled). Install that, and when you upgrade, it will download direct from FileZilla so you won't get crapware installed, at least, I never did.

Or shell out <$10 for a program that IMO is totally worth it and nothing else compares quite to it. Again...JMO

Steve

Fanatic
Everything you mentioned would throw red flags for me. No thanks I'll stick with my "POS" FlashFXP and WinSCP...

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
I just hate having only one connection, and a poor interface. The file queue in FZ - I haven't seen another program that works quite the same, maybe that's just a preference but FZs is very well laid out.

I don't know why it's so "hidden", but I did ask him.

Regard the malware issue, pretty sure I know what that's all about. SF's page is full of ads that look like you're supposed to click them to download, and when you do, you get a different version of FZ that is embedded with malware. The SF download bundle is full of junk but as long as you are super careful when you select "no" for everything (they use reverse logic to make you think you're denying when you are accepting, they being the adware makers) then you can use that, I just wouldn't.

So unless Tim Kosse has been hacked and he's putting out a paid version with secret malware, what I'm saying is that it's the real deal so for anyone wanting FZ because nothing else is quite the same but they are afraid of the black eye reputation for malware, problem solved.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Everything you mentioned would throw red flags for me. No thanks I'll stick with my "POS" FlashFXP and WinSCP...
I have to agree, it's just not worth the risk because the malware I've had delivered with FileZilla was almost impossible to remove. In addition Tim Kosse has proved himself to be completely untrustworthy and I wouldn't believe a word he says.

I do believe that it is possible to get a clean installation of FileZilla, I know because I've had one or two in the past but I also know that you are playing Russian roulette with your PC every time you attempt to install it.

It's shame because FileZilla is/was generally a decent client but there's no way I'll attempt to install it again.