What do you guys offer to be a Moderator if you don't have any money?

dvsDave

Aspirant
I've used our industry influence to help my moderators get better pricing from manufacturers than is normally available. I also get them VIP passes to various tradeshows (higher level of access than the stage expo floor level passes). A lot of that is through advertising deals we make. I can't pay my mods, but I make sure I can get them access to the right people and the right events. That makes a HUGE difference. In our world, (Live Entertainment Technology), the level of access you have to an event or how far you can get backstage is the ultimate perk. Being able to get in early, or stay late, and my favorite, bypass lines, all of these are really helpful and generally isn't something you can just buy. You HAVE to know the right people.

What can you offer your mods that is something that they can't buy themselves?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I generally look for people who, on their own, clearly demonstrate an interest in making the site better, and who are even tempered and diplomatic. We promote based on staff nominations, and very rarely does anyone turn down an invitation to help.

Snowhog

Retired in MN
Power is a tool the job requires, not a reward.

We dont offer anything other than the warm fuzzy feeling, and a diffeent coloured username.
Ditto. We aren't a large forum, but we've been around a long time (July 17, 2005). All our Administrators and sometime Moderators are volunteers, accepting the responsibility because they believe in what are site was created for and genuinely want to help. Simple as that. We actually have members that help support the forum financially as well.

Joel R

Habitué
Access
Prestige
Control
Responsibility
Loyalty
Influence

These are intrinsic motivators. They are far more powerful than external motivators, like money or badges.

zappaDPJ

Cake!

In recent years I've sent my non-paid staff a cake for Xmas. They also get free hosting and the occasional Amazon voucher for going above and beyond.

Papa Tango

Aspirant
Most of the best candidates will do this--administration or moderation--for personally gratifying reasons. This is not to say that the board owner does not have to do a bit of 'stroking' to acknowledge their work. Phone calls on a regular basis, thanks for their work--and keeping noxious members off their heads go a long way. But, if one has a financially viable board supported by advertising with hundreds of thousands of members--a significant number of those subscribers--paying a dividend for services can be done.

It all depends on the size of the board, the cash flow, and what you want to see happen!

DigNap15

Habitué
Beware those who volunteer often and seem too eager for the role. Likewise, avoid any that have ever caused an issue--insulting other members, or erratic late night Jameson fueled posts. I recommend that the candidate be at least 6-12 months a member, and have over 250 posts that qualify their behavior and thinking. Contact them off board, a telephone call or two will reveal a great deal and is very helpful in weeding out trouble.
Jameson fueled!
I have a few of those on my fourm.
My forum depends on donations, and I want to earn a bit to cover my time (a lot)
So I would not be in a position to pay for moderators
I have 1000 members, probably 400 active. I am the admin and the only mod
But I can see that I will need some help soon.
I bet If I asked for some moderators I would get lots of volunteers, most with the idea of being a hatchetman.
I would limit them to removing offensive posts only, and maybe reporting unruly members.

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
I would go the usual "free upgrade, perks, etc" and if applicable on anything else as well. Say your game server or whatever if your forum is about that.

Simple and it comes in a can. :tup:

Just don't get carried away and offer up the sun and moon or you may get beggers instead of staff members.

overcast

Adherent
Considering times are tough. If we continue to work for free, when the financial markets change people continue to expect free work.

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
Considering times are tough. If we continue to work for free, when the financial markets change people continue to expect free work.
Here is what I like to go by in such regards...

Could you get literal free labor? Sure but can you get reliably and accountability? Not so much...

that is why you may ask your brother and/or siblings for favors to be fulfilled and other times your willing to pay $$$ to hand it off to an reliable and account able human being.

That is why in my opinion we really pay for certain things and we don't for others.

In the case of moderation in this subject for instance, in my opinion... If you want them to take it a job instead of a "3rd class citizen" your going to have to compensate for their time if you want a long term, reliable and account able moderator.

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
https://www.bettys.co.uk/ I chose them for quality and because they ship internationally :)
Not so out of this world anymore to expect a parcel on your doorstep in 24 hours even if it across the ocean. Heck outside of the Cornavirus Amazon would do it free of charge if they have stock in one of their Fulfillment Centers near enough to your location.

So in short it's getting more and more practical to order and send sweets like this which can stand room temps for at least a few days.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I don't offer anything but that's because I don't profit off of my forums in the past. Usually like with my two past boards that were busy I'll just make a post asking would anyone be interested in moderating and people almost always apply. If my forums were profiting than I'd definitely offer some kind of compensation.

Fait

Enthusiast
I want to thank everyone for the ideas, I’ve been looking for a moderator but everyone wants money which I don’t have since it’s a small site.