What do you guys offer to be a Moderator if you don't have any money?

mrb1129

Aspirant
What do you guys offer to be a Moderator if you don't have any money?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I buy Christmas gifts and send occasional thank you cards. On sites where we've made t-shirts or coffee mugs, I've sent those to them. I don't mention this to them in advance, they come in knowing its a volunteer position in the community. The stuff I send is a bonus to show my appreciation. I have had assistant admins on super large forums that I paid a small amount to every 2 weeks, but those sites were making good money, and the admins put in more work than moderators.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Glory.

I've never offered anything. I choose people who have demonstrated the traits I'm looking for in a moderator, then I ask them if they are interested in helping out. Generally, they say yes. If they have to be bribed or otherwise incentivized into doing it, I'd rather not have them.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Glory.

I've never offered anything. I choose people who have demonstrated the traits I'm looking for in a moderator, then I ask them if they are interested in helping out. Generally, they say yes. If they have to be bribed or otherwise incentivized into doing it, I'd rather not have them.

Exactly, especially the last sentence. Not until it becomes a "job" like a lot of admin stuff that isn't moderator stuff, would I consider it to be any sort of compensated position.

haqzore

Devotee
So I interpret this like the last couple responses.

Nothing.

Appreciation can be shown later, and in many ways. But until your board is generating steady income? Nothing.

southernlady

Devotee
Nothing.

Appreciation can be shown later, and in many ways. But until your board is generating steady income? Nothing.
An owner can always say thank you and that's not nothing. Just nothing they can hold in their hands.

mrb1129

Aspirant
So, basically if a member is good and appreciate the community. I can ask him or her to be a moderator.

mrb1129

Aspirant
Of course. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Its not like that we are not getting members. But contributing members are very thin.

Any suggestions regarding getting members who will contribute. We are doing extensively forum marketing already.

haqzore

Devotee
Its not like that we are not getting members. But contributing members are very thin.

Any suggestions regarding getting members who will contribute. We are doing extensively forum marketing already.
Thats an entirely different subject that would warrant its own separate thread.

I'd also try searching first as it's not a new subject on TAZ.

User37935

Neophyte
Likewise, they do it voluntarily for me because they have an interest in the niche and/or want to help make the community better.

However when you grow and if you make some money then you may well want to share the love.

It really depends on what they do. If it's housekeeping and general moderator duties then you have to question what that's worth in monetary terms.

I've sent some cash as a one off at Xmas by way of thanks to people who helped out above the call of duty.

A good way of doing this if you want to go further is to allocate x% of profit to a staff fund then allocate that to the staff. In this way if the forum does well, people get a bonus, but if it doesn't, you won't be out of pocket. It's an incentive too for the staff. And I also tried offering a commission to any staff that could get new advertisers too.

I A 1

Enthusiast
What do you offer a prospective moderator? Power.

Power is tempting. Anyone will volunteer for it.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Power is a tool the job requires, not a reward.

We dont offer anything other than the warm fuzzy feeling, and a diffeent coloured username.

KimmiKat

Fan
I remember when I was a mod on a major web hosting mboard and they expected a lot out of their moderators. Due to RL I only had little time to put in there. Ironically I was asked to be a mod and "fired" later, considering it was free work for a for-profit company.

Exactly, especially the last sentence. Not until it becomes a "job" like a lot of admin stuff that isn't moderator stuff, would I consider it to be any sort of compensated position.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
^^ This is the other side of the equation. Too many forum managers/owners forget moderators are not their employees.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
We dont offer anything in particular.
However collaborators can expect our personal support if for example theyd like free webhosting or tech help for projects or personal websites. It's a way to keep them around for the foreseeable term, and ensure helpers diversify their activity a bit.
Additionally, if perks like freebies from sponsors/affiliated stores or hoarded goodies are available, some part is reserved (usually free copies of paid software/videogames, cheaply acquired high-value bundles), exchanged for goodwill. Mostly the personal initiative of specific admins, rather than official policy.

Papa Tango

Aspirant
In the boards I have owned or managed, finding moderators was never much of a problem. Certain personalities emerge that help other members or sometimes attempt to sort out conflicts. The major issue I have found is with some who develop an inflated sense of ownership--and get cranky when some of their suggestions (board features, design components, or member 'punishments') are ignored or changed. This really can get tricky when some are promoted to an administrative role. I have had moderator/admin sorts stage mutinies via PM amongst members and go off to make new fora of their own in the middle of the night... :mad:

Beware those who volunteer often and seem too eager for the role. Likewise, avoid any that have ever caused an issue--insulting other members, or erratic late night Jameson fueled posts. I recommend that the candidate be at least 6-12 months a member, and have over 250 posts that qualify their behavior and thinking. Contact them off board, a telephone call or two will reveal a great deal and is very helpful in weeding out trouble.