What do you expect your moderators to do?

mama pie

Aspirant
Apart from watching out for offensive posts etc do you also expect your mods to start topics? I have recently asked mine to do so, not had much response about it and was wondering if this was an out of the ordinary thing to ask for?

Jodi

Enthusiast
I expect my mods to keep their sections active, to a degree. We are a small group though, maybe it would be different for a big board where there are a lot of active members, ya know?

BBoo

Adherent
Yes I agree, it depends on the size of your board. On my site I do expect my mods to take an active interest in their sections.

EnigmaticGrace

Never stops learning
Our forum just released a few of our mods for inactivity. Not jsut their own, but for lacking in keeping their areas of the board active.

I did a random roll call. anyone who hadn't posted after 5 days was released. Me and the two admins figured if they didn't see it inside a week, they didn't need to be on the staff any longer.

jasonlambert

Aspirant
moderators only responsibility on my site is ensuring people abide by the forums rules, and moving posts that were posted in the wrong section.

All my site moderators are "global" and have full moderator permissions over the entire forum.

DaveMo

Aspirant
I have a list of duties for mods (actually it extends to all forum leaders). It includes:
  • Spam Cop - get rid of the spam
  • Nurturing your forum - help it to grow, maintaining the rules
  • Editing posts - removing the "oh-oh's"
  • Deleting posts - as needed
  • Maintaining professionalism

Also, I have a Code of Conduct for mods that talks about their conduct, confidentiality, and forum duties.

IMO, nurturing forums is part of a mod's job, too. That not only means policing, but being there at regular intervals, answering questions as they can, helping to find answers, and if there is no activity happening in a forum, they can start threads to get some activity/growth.