What could get a moderator and administrator fired on your forum?

marcus903

Aspirant
What could get your moderator and administrator fired on your forum?

Please don't just say obvious things like "doesn't contribute to the forum very well", "isn't a very good moderator", etc. Please be specific on the reasons you could fire a moderator or administrator.

Letus begin.

bauss

Adherent
I never really put much thought into it, as I'm the only staff member on my forum. But when we do hire moderators, and admins one thing that would them fired is attacking members, and not being a good role model to our users.

Peire

Aspirant
I agree as said above bullying etc will be the major for getting rid of staff.

Sent from my samsung galaxy note 2 using tapatalk 2

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Abusing users or deliberate refusal to collaborate productively (staff is to form one rank, not be divided into enemy factions).

oldsoldier

Enthusiast
Abusing users or deliberate refusal to collaborate productively (staff is to form one rank, not be divided into enemy factions).
This is a big one. Proper use of the entrusted powers and staff unity are essential in order to maintain orderly operation of any forum.

I think failure to keep confidential information confidential would probably do it on my forum.
+1 no need to expound on that one :)

For the most part as an admin you have to trust the judgement of your staff and give them the benefit of the doubt. But you should always have a review process for bans and disciplinary actions because mods are human and sometimes make bad calls. It is imperative to make sure your staff understands the intent of your rules instead of just blindly or erratically enforcing them.

CMOBOSS

All About Da-Cookies.
Interference with the website/server functionality/service.

I want to throw in lack of communication or total break down thereof, but the reality is I'm not one to offer up a higher ranking position (super mod/Admin) to someone that I am not already certain I can communicate with, and have confidence in said person's skills/abilities.

All things considered I want to lean towards "Nothing" as long as they are doing what they are expected to do as an admin.

Unless you've a need for an excuse I'm not even sure what the point in having this conversation is since the reality is it's much like sitting around talking about how we would spend our millions if we won the lottery... distraction. LOL. not tryin to be rude, just thought I would throw in that tidbit of personal opinion.

Have you had many bad experiences with an admin/mod? Are you having some difficulties with people in said positions now?

Last edited:

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
Technically speaking, the owner of the forum is the generally the one who gets final say on whether a member should be promoted, demoted, banned, etc.

If the owner chooses to demote a staff member then they're free to do it for whatever reason they see fit, regardless of whether others agree with them or not. The real issue in demoting staff however comes from whether others will see it as justified or an abuse of power on the admin's part.

In other words, you don't need a reason to demote a staff member, but if you don't have one or have a very week one then be prepared to have members complaining about your actions and/or leaving your forum.

marcus903

Aspirant
Have you had many bad experiences with an admin/mod? Are you having some difficulties with people in said positions now?
Yes, but that is not the reasin for making this thread.

The main problems with admins/mods is that other people view them as more superior than regular users. Many administrators (and moderators) will remove or scold anyone who criticizes or questions their behavior. Moderators and administrators always judge people based on the way they act. Many of them have their own definition of 'trolling' and will actively enforce that definition.

So yes, I'm having plenty of difficulties with people in said positions. Though, I am vowing to stay off forums with members and/or staff with mental problems.

Namorat

Duder
The main problems with admins/mods is that other people view them as more superior than regular users. Many administrators (and moderators) will remove or scold anyone who criticizes or questions their behavior. Moderators and administrators always judge people based on the way they act. Many of them have their own definition of 'trolling' and will actively enforce that definition.
I am a tad confused, actually...
First, by definition admins and mods are superior. Maybe you mean it they view themselves as better people or worth more than others, which is admittedly bad, but being superior or inferior is what a position within a hierarchy always means.
Secondly, on most forums the criticism and its reception depends on the way it is expressed. Saying "this forum is [negative adjective] often results in deletion of this post plus repercussions for the user who posted it. Constructive criticism, even if it is about things not working well, is often appreciated on forums, I have learned.
Thirdly, how should people evaluate each other if not by their actions and how they present themselves?
And last but not least: Of course the staff will enforce their rules if someone is a troll in their eyes. What about this is unusual?

tracymw

Habitué
The one thing that would get them demoted would be.....being rude to new members. My staff is there to ensure that new members feel welcome. I've joined forums and as soon as I joined, a staff member was a bit rude to me...I never went back.

oldsoldier

Enthusiast
The one thing that would get them demoted would be.....being rude to new members. My staff is there to ensure that new members feel welcome. I've joined forums and as soon as I joined, a staff member was a bit rude to me...I never went back.
I would definitely expect staff to be welcoming considering your niche :)

Akela

viam aut inveniam...
What could get your moderator and administrator fired on your forum?
While this is a great discussion topic, I never know how to answer this question.

It is hard to shake the feeling that if my moderators were to ever come close to being fired - I'd be doing something horribly wrong.

Watchman

Aspirant
I'd only fire someone if they have been doing serious violations of my rule set, and if it's just minor violations I give them what I call a "mod warning", demote, then move on. If they are misusing their powers, then that is also grounds for removal from staff. I also may remove them if I begin seeing patterns in PMs or chat that indicates immaturity or a potential misuse of power. (I will only do this if this has been going on for quite some time, such as being a troll in the mod chatroom.)

There are a few other things that are confidential on my forums. Sharing them will result in being removed from the staff. (I just sounded a little too official, but nevermind. ;P)

JessJ

Enthusiast
I actually list some in my staff handbook. A few would be:

- Excessively breaking any of the rules that regular members are upheld to.
- Abusing power.
- Not logging in or posting for 2 weeks without notice.
- Breaking the confidentiality contract.
- Being involved in illegal activities.
- Not heeding a warning/blatantly disobeying (especially in public).

Narse1979

Neophyte
Hi new to the Forum and I am one of the Admin over at thechilloutroom.org...
You may have seen one of my colleagues posting over here, Peire.

I have been Snr Mod over at another forum before and rifts between staff can be an endless world of problems. I have had hands on experience with this. People walking out, things getting twisted, admins bullying behaviour.

I think at the end of the day you need to weigh up if it's all worth it! If not then maybe stop visiting so much or not at all. I know it may not seem fair due to someone else's trolling etc but we are on the internet and most of the time you can walk away. I know I did lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex

Participant
I would ban them forever if they broke a single rule, because it means that they know the rules and are breaking them.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
Hmmm. There are many reasons, but the first that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread was sharing confidential information to non-staff members - that breaches the trust we develop as a team, and makes it harder for the staff to function well. Luckily we have had almost no trouble with this.

Other big ones for me would be abuse of their power, trying to interfere with the server/backend, being absent/not actually moderating, being a bad role model.