What browser?

GoodKarmaKid

Neophyte
Checkout wavebox it's based on Chromium but is super cool. Improves memory management tremendously by "sleeping" tabs that aren't active, also allows multiple google accounts to be logged in at the same time (paid feature). Also, can embed links to popular apps like messenger, whatsapp, etc

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Checkout wavebox it's based on Chromium but is super cool. Improves memory management tremendously by "sleeping" tabs that aren't active, also allows multiple google accounts to be logged in at the same time (paid feature). Also, can embed links to popular apps like messenger, whatsapp, etc
Browsers that "sleep tabs" that aren't active have a tendency of making in-browser chat clients stop working for me.

Karll

Adherent
I am doing just fine with Chrome. I get my firefox too much loaded on system even for my current config.
I use FF and I always have at least 6 tabs open. It starts bogging down over time to a point where it stalls, like it has a mem leak. I then close it and open Chrome.
What version of Firefox, and on what platform?

I regularly have 100+ tabs open in Firefox, but I don't have any performance problems. This is on Linux, though.

zappaDPJ

I regularly have 100+ tabs open in Firefox, but I don't have any performance problems. This is on Linux, though.

No problems with (Windows) Firefox here either but like most browsers it can be a bit of memory hog so I imagine it might slow a device if memory gets tight.

DigNap15

Habitué
I've been on Firefox fisnce version3.00
The latets versions ae very stable and fast.
I woud never trust Chrome to be my broswer as i think they are too much of a big corporate.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Firefox on my PC
Chrome on my Laptop
Brave on my phone

I have no idea why I use different ones on different devices..

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Sells less data than Google does, and isn't backed by a multinational corporation that likely wants to spy on your every move.

Either way, I recommend Firefox overall. It's not as commercially focused as alternatives, has a decent plugin ecosystem, is by an organisation that seems to care about web standards and happens to use a browser engine that isn't Chromium. Which is arguably important for anyone into web development, since it means Google can't just de facto decide what websites and webapps are capable of without anyone else questioning their decisions.

zappaDPJ

Trying to control who does what with your data is like trying to hold back the tide. I've given up worrying who knows about my love affair with rubber fetish suits :cool:

KimmiKat

Fan
Like all the smart crap they sell that knows most of your moves.

Sells less data than Google does, and isn't backed by a multinational corporation that likely wants to spy on your every move.

Either way, I recommend Firefox overall. It's not as commercially focused as alternatives, has a decent plugin ecosystem, is by an organisation that seems to care about web standards and happens to use a browser engine that isn't Chromium. Which is arguably important for anyone into web development, since it means Google can't just de facto decide what websites and webapps are capable of without anyone else questioning their decisions.

Jura

Devotee
Vivaldi and Opera are Chromium so there's ways of using Chrome extensions. They both have nice stuff for "power users."

I use Opera with Maxthon as backup. There's a small vocal minority of people that hate both of those for ties to China, but they're racist.

Maxthon is cool though feature wise if you want something other than Firefox or Chromium based. Not many extensions though.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
There's a small vocal minority of people that hate both of those for ties to China, but they're racist.
There are some Chinese companies which do dodgy things with people's data, although I don't know of those in particular doing it. There are many U.S. Companies that also use people's data for dodgy purposes as the U.S. does not have much in the way of data protection law.

zappaDPJ

This is oddly reminiscent of a thread I've got running on one of my forums.

A while ago if something broke people would probably say 'it's made in Japan, lol'. Anything and everything made in Japan used to be a joke but not anymore and it won't be long before goods made in China are cheaper and better than anything you could buy elsewhere.

Personally I'm not too worried about their dodgy dealings with people's data because everyone's at it. I'm far more worried about their ability to mass produce quality goods at low cost.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Japan has always been known for quality.

China was not, but that was 15-20 years ago, in the past 10 years China has the ability to produce as good a quality as anywhere else can, problem is most companies that make stuff in China want to do it cheaply so the quality is the first thing that suffers. China can build anything as good as anyone else in the world now days if not better and at a cheaper price. I used to travel to Chinese factories in my old job about 8 years ago and yes a lot of factories still had poor working conditions but it has vastly improved over the last 10 years.

Having said all that, Corona virus could possibly decimate Chinese manufacturing and the USA may get a resurgence of Manufacturing, probably not a bad thing considering China wanting a monopoly on manufacturing.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
the USA may get a resurgence of Manufacturing
I doubt it would be a positive if it happens.
This health scare supports automating entire production, supply and logistic chains to avoid depending on humans showing up for work. Once 24/7 automation takes your place, only the threat of fines and regulations will make corporations give humans a chance again.

With China this wont be a problem, as idle workers would simply get affected to other jobs or even regions or countries, whereas in most the western world skilled workers are in more direct control of their working life.