What browser?

Kyrie

Habitué
What browser do you use? I am debating getting out of the chrome ecosystem, but I was wondering what the best one is in your opinion?

Noble

Participant
eva2000 what do you find in Opera that is better than the rest? i have a few along with Chrome but never tried Opera

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I use all of them. Edge for testing. Firefox, Opera, Chrome for regular use.

Opera tends to crash less than Chrome imo.

eva2000

Habitué
Yeah Opera seems to handle multiple browser window tabs better than Chrome as is memory usage despite being based on Chromium too.

doubt

Tazmanian
I usually use the Chromium based Edge Beta. It's pretty good.
The only problem with it that cannot have a permanent sidebar for my favourities.

zappaDPJ

Firefox for general use and everything else for testing.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Firefox in general.
It more efficiently blocks ads, trackers, and its container feature is really handy to limit bad actors' ability to personalize content and ads using your browsing habits, wether you passively visit sites with share buttons or login into those using facebook connect. Mobile firefox has addons, which fans of ad blocking will find handy.

As a veteran survivor of the first and second browser wars, I'm not fond of browsers usurping standards to become the standard as 'the new IE6', wether their source is open or proprietary is just a mean to an end. Crossplatform compatibility is important and web developpers should ensure their sites cater to the lowest denominator rather than make them 'run best only on chrome'.

Web developpers looking to switch to Firefox should pick its developper edition. It can be installed in paralell to the normal edition, and includes more and newer developper tools and features on par with chrome's, perhaps even better. It can also remotedly debug a mobile firefox instance, unlike chrome whose mobile editions only allow you to browse websites and do not include any dev tool, access to any or addons.

overcast

Adherent
I am doing just fine with Chrome. I get my firefox too much loaded on system even for my current config.

Giant

Adherent
I am stuck with Google Chrome I consider it the best out there easy to use.

Klaatu

Fan
Opera has been my main browser for at least 15 years. I do use others for different stuff (Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, Chrome, Edge).

I am stuck with Google Chrome I consider it the best out there easy to use.

Is there a browser hard to use? :unsure: Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, and now Edge (and many others) are built on the chromium engine though, you shouldn't feel stuck with Chrome (unless you already tried the others). All of them support Chrome extensions and at least in my experience, they're all lighter and more stable than Chrome.

Last edited:

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Used to use Firefox but it seemed to slow things down. I've used Chrome for years. I use IE at work, I still dislike it lol

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Firefox since ever for me. I really like Mozilla corporation. They represent a lot of my interest.

Ramses

Adherent
Vivaldi, because it comes closest to the pre chromium era of the Opera browser.

Rickk

Neophyte
I am doing just fine with Chrome. I get my firefox too much loaded on system even for my current config.
I use FF and I always have at least 6 tabs open. It starts bogging down over time to a point where it stalls, like it has a mem leak. I then close it and open Chrome.