What are you doing for Monetization these days?

cdub24

Enthusiast
I've seen a lot of sites offer no ads as a feature with the paid subscription. I know this alone is not enough, but did you consider doing this at all? What made you get rid of ads completely instead of offering it as one of the perks?

I personally hate ads. I thought it would be a more valuable experience to my users. And adsene was paying crap. Actually I was inspired by Consumer Reports and how they don't have ads at all and are completely member supported. It gives an air of independence and non bias to the institutions and products we cover.

And while I have nothing to support this idea, I think people might be more willing to purchase if it's the only source of income for the site.

Have you ever had to prevent the people who can access more information from freely spreading it to the people who aren't paying?

(I'm considering a similar approach, which is the reason I'm wondering about these things.)

While I don't think this has been a problem for me it would be impossible to prevent. If you provide enough value at a reasonable price this won't be a noticeable problem.

cdub24

Enthusiast
And with Google reducing forums in its search results
I am so glad I have nothing to do with Googe

Hey DigNap15 that there is very important point - When or which Algo change did that happen or was it a gradual thing?

I haven't noticed any drop in Google traffic for my forum. In fact it's been the opposite.

The rise may be because I've starting hiring writers to write good quality articles but the threads themselves are still up there at the top of the results for certain queries. My main keyword is crazy competitive though. It's on the second page or so for the main keyword by itself and hopefully slowly climbing up with the new articles eventually. It's usually on the first page (threads and articles) for the main keyword with some more specificity.

Good content is key. Relying on forum users alone to create content won't do anymore.

In fact currently all the money my site makes from memberships goes to hiring quality writers to write QUALITY articles which will cause more traffic and memberships (some parts of some articles are behind paywall) which will allow me to hire more writers and repeat.

In my case quality articles are interviews with successful people and institutions in my site's field... And soon interviews with authors who write books for our field. I'll see how Amazon referral looks work for those. We should have our first one up next month

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Your member subscriptions (if very active forum) and direct advertisers are key areas to focus today.
Spending atleast 20% in profits for acquiring/promoting your site/forum is required.