What are you doing for Monetization these days?

haqzore

Devotee
Fully agree that "posts and interaction" are the most valuable currency... But I think some forget that as traffic increases, so do costs.

It's easy to throw a forum up on shared hosting for $5 with a "new customer" promo...

I do this myself.

But growth begets growth. I don't think its wise to ignore income methods & strategies until you're faced with multi-hundred dollar (or more) monthly hosting costs staring you in the face.

bar22

Aspirant
Most of our sites use A) subscription model for access to bonus content B) a range of ad solutions (video, display, interactive). Over time I can see the industry shifting more towards subscription but right now ads pay most of the bills

Philpug

Participant
While I do this for enjoyment, I also expect to be compensated for my work and providing a platform for our readers. I really don't understand why site owners would not want advertisers to help pay for the site and expenses can be covered. People expect ads on other sites, why shouldn't we be different? If an advertiser wants to access you reader adn your reader is a good fit, why not?

As far as Adsence, since we did a redesign and went from XF1.5 to XF2.x, our Adsense has dropped. When Covid hit, it took a dive. The whole time our page views and time on the site has been consistant. This is very disconcerting to us because we counted on that income to cover some significant expenses. We are now scrambling to cover those losses.

We looked at alternatives and have yet to find any. We tried companies like Exioc but that was disappointing. While we have very good representation of ads from within the ski industry, we need to reach out past it an that we have yet to find an agency.

bar22

Aspirant
Philpug if you have 2M plus impressions per month I can recommend an agency. If your site is smaller I've heard good things about Media Vine.

Philpug

Participant
Philpug if you have 2M plus impressions per month I can recommend an agency. If your site is smaller I've heard good things about Media Vine.
Yeah, we are about half that but our demographics and their buying power is very powerful.

bar22

Aspirant
That can be a great asset. In the tech niche we've landed a few $20 CPM PMP deals with some big brands because of our demographics - mainly programmers.

Establishing strong relationships directly with advertisers is a good move if possible. Might be worth reaching out to some well-known brands. One site I think has done a great job in this area is seabreeze.com.au. They have a load of PMP deals all year round.

DigNap15

Fan
For me advertising is just too much extra work
And you are at the mercy of Google and how many ads they display.

Unless your forum is linked to an industry that you can get direct relationships with retailers etc
Eg I saw a Golf Cart forum with ads from Golf retailers.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
growth begets growth. I don't think its wise to ignore income methods & strategies until you're faced with multi-hundred dollar (or more) monthly hosting costs staring you in the face.
Hosting on someone's existing server with unused capacity can be almost free, and there's also cheap or even cost-free solutions for non-profits or public interest entities, but obviously reducing costs to zero is cheating in the context of monetization.

Income should be predictable and not strictly tied to certain types of performance so that you can plan ahead more comfortably without panicking. Sponsorships would complement self-funding and member contribution decently - many ad spenders are fed up with the rates of google, facebook and others and would instead prefer securing longterm visibility at a lower, more predictable expense rather than waste their time bidding up for ad slots.