What are you doing for Monetization these days?

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
There have been significant changes lately with monetization ---

Amazon no longer available through companies like Skimlinks or Viglink and is tightening up their requirements for publishers and accepting less forum sites -

Viglink has dropped its 'insert' service ---

Adsense revenue rates have decreased significantly over time...

I am hearing whispers of more changes coming --

So what are you using these days to monetize?

overcast

Adherent
My adsense is dropped pretty low. I have high views but the CPM is down. Viglink is kind of dead since last Nov.

Apart from Paid consulting work, have no hopes on forum and blog right now.

DaveL

Habitué
Adsense here. Revenue seems to be going up month on month. Must be one of the lucky ones!

woody

eternal noobie
AdThrive banners for my guests/visitors.
Tiered (GAM) AdX, APS and direct banner sales for my registered users.
Amazon and EBay rewrite plugins.

I believe much of the economic recovery depends on what vertical you are in. Analytics on my automotive-based forum saw initial drops, then recovered after two weeks. CPM/RPM is returning nicely and monthly numbers are now comparable to 2019.

I have a ridiculous amount of time into learning/adjusting Yield Groups and it's paying off.

edit: The majority of my Vendors reported decreased customer contacts, but increased sales over the past few months. Less lookie-loos wasting their time and more serious shoppers who knew what they wanted and were ready to buy. The issue now is the supply chain.

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Direct funding from a minority of users (basically Patreon). Staff contribution covers half of costs, users help with the rest (even some who no longer visit - more should reconsider wether pitches should exclusively target active members or anyone willing to support your communities). In exchange, no ads are displayed to logged users, and barely any if not logged or a guest (not like the annoyance made much outside spikes anyway) - makes contributors feel good about their support, since they improve everyone else's experience rather than exclusively their own (a common issue with "premium" subscriptions of fixed amounts).

Also, selling 'visibility'. Sometimes its reviews, articles, guest articles, social media awareness namedrops, videos/streams. Not all gain is purely monetary or direct, and youd be surprised how many would willingly pay to attach credibility to their person and works (many sites charge to 'prioritize' certain submissions, like review sites that are flooded with requests).

tony45

Enthusiast
The "I show you ads" business model is broken. No doubt about it. Now you need you build an audience

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
And what assurance is there that audience would keep your lights on?
Is it even supposed to? Forum members already pay with their posts and interaction - precious currencies whose worth an admin only realize a month away from shutting down.

Community-focused websites and forums used to be fully funded by their webmasters, and those operating costs only kept decreasing - at any time, those expenses are already willingly shouldered or pledged to be. Wether they made any money from member contribution or ads was just a welcome benefit whose principal purpose was generally recouping those costs then ideally funding a salary's worth of the most essential fulltime (tech?) admin in compensation for their time.

In light of the common demise of many websites due to poor planning, its evident few pragmatically plan for sustainable longterm growth and chase unrealistic numbers. Unless you run direct ads, theyre relatively low yield when you got multiple levels of middlemen taking a cut and gaining special insight about your visitors that theyre not paying you extra to obtain.

DigNap15

Adherent
I rely on donations
At the start there was no way I could devote any time to running ads with Google
Or finding direct ads.
And at the start of a new fourm, you can hardly expect advertsisrs to wnat to advertise if you have no audence
And with Google reducing forums in its search results
I am so glad I have nothing to do with Googe

Ingenious

Fan
One of the most insightful comments in this thread and I have to say one of the best posts I have read in a while:

Forum members already pay with their posts and interaction
We can all chase the money but without people posting it all falls apart. It opens up a wider debate, what value do you put on member posts? I have members that almost as a point of principle refuse to donate and support the site (despite getting great benefit from it) but they post some brilliant content. What's more important?

And:

Community-focused websites and forums used to be fully funded by their webmasters, and those operating costs only kept decreasing - at any time, those expenses are already willingly shouldered or pledged to be
This is so true. Hosting has never been cheaper (though domain names are a hit in the balls if you defensively register variants of your forum name) and many of us started as a hobby until the money seduced us. But a true hobby is usually a net loss of money isn't it?

Well said LeadCrow :)

Frode789

Participant
Forum members already pay with their posts and interaction - precious currencies whose worth an admin only realize a month away from shutting down.
So much this.. I don't give a flying *beep* if I don't get any money on my site (I'm not in it to earn money or break even), as long as it is a SUCCESS and sees lots of posts and activity.

DigNap15

Adherent
About 8 or 10 years ago the internet was full of guys asking "How can I make money on the internet"
One of the popular answers was "start a forum"!
I started my forum as a personal project.
But it grew so fact that I need help to pay for running it as it is very busy.
I am lucky in that so far my donations have more than covered my expenses.

Knwoing what I do now abotu running a forum I am not sure if I'd start a new one.
There are too many hassles and things to learn
DNS, webshosts, email servers, moderating, getting new members, spammers.

Faust

Enthusiast
About 8 or 10 years ago the internet was full of guys asking "How can I make money on the internet"
One of the popular answers was "start a forum"!
I started my forum as a personal project.
But it grew so fact that I need help to pay for running it as it is very busy.
I am lucky in that so far my donations have more than covered my expenses.

Knwoing what I do now abotu running a forum I am not sure if I'd start a new one.
There are too many hassles and things to learn
DNS, webshosts, email servers, moderating, getting new members, spammers.

Make it invitation only, with spamming is done.

DigNap15

Adherent
Make it invitation only, with spamming is done.
I do, I am using XF, and I get about one spammer trying to register a day.
I look up their IP, and if its from a country that is of no interest to me, I delete them without accepting their registartion
But it is still 5 minutes out of my day.

Faust

Enthusiast
I do, I am using XF, and I get about one spammer trying to register a day.
I look up their IP, and if its from a country that is of no interest to me, I delete them without accepting their registartion
But it is still 5 minutes out of my day.
I don't do that, that's probably a breach of privacy to delete some ones account without notification. Mine is only invitation board. Which requires a code prior to make an account.

DigNap15

Adherent
I don't do that, that's probably a breach of privacy to delete some ones account without notification. Mine is only invitation board. Which requires a code prior to make an account.
But they don't have an account until it approved by me!
I used to email them and ask them why they wanted to join my form
But they never replied
They are invading my space by trying to join so that they can spam my members.
They have no rights at all