What Add On is TAZ using ...

BGObsession

Enthusiast
for the lightbulb style switcher in the navbar? I love this. I've seen it on a couple other Xenforo sites but can't find an add-on for it. I did find one add-on but it's sort of a mess and unsupported and I'm not able to place the style switcher where you have it (which is exactly what I want).

I will send gifts for the solution!

Russ

Administrator
This specific functionality on TAZ is tied into an option found in all of my styles.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Thanks. That's a bummer. I can't believe I cannot figure this out...

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Funny you mentioned that as I was just discussing with a couple other staff. Truth is, we were so impressed with the core Xenforo functionality that we never got around to discussing an enhanced style (as we have purchased previously for our sites). I see this in our future. I've never imported a custom style AFTER fully customizing a default skin before. Is it pretty much starting over or is most of the customizing and setup able to be retained when applying a new skin?

Last edited:

dvsDave

Aspirant
Funny you mentioned that as I was just discussing with a couple other staff. Truth is, we were so impressed with the core Xenforo functionality that we never got around to discussing an enhanced style (as we have purchased previously for our sites). I see this in our future. I've never imported a custom style AFTER fully customizing a default skin before. Is it pretty much starting over or is most of the customizing and setup able to be retained when applying a new skin?
Unfortunately, you'll have to load your customizations over to the new theme, but there's an intermediate step I would recommend to make your life easier.

Load the new style as a root/parent level style. Many of the themes have different color scheme options, those you would load as a child theme. Then, and here's the trick, create a child style under the color style. This means that you NEVER touch the main style or the default child color styles. You are only editing the lowest level child. This way, when XF comes out with an update, and the theme developer ships an update, you can apply them immediately and not worry about code conflicts. You might have to make adjustments to your active style, but you won't have to touch the original theme file(s).

Now, it's a bit different if you use a light/dark color switcher. Here's what mine looks like for that. You basically invert the child pages. You create a style where you edit the code and then you put 2 child styles underneath and edit ONLY THE COLOR SCHEME on those. You can check out the color switcher on my site, https://www.controlbooth.com/ the color switcher is the toggle switch on the bottom left of the page.

cb_style_layout.gif

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to share your approach - that's awesome!