Wedge - update March 27, 2021

Zelda

Participant
It does not do me any good, personally. I do not think it likes PHP 8.

Code:
Fatal error: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is no longer supported in /gz/app/Subs.php on line 2045

Code:
AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is no longer supported in /gz/app/Subs.php on line 2045'

Nevertheless, I take mild comfort in knowing their development continued (?).

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Yup, none of that stuff was updated for later versions of PHP. It is, unfortunately, quite a treadmill to migrate stuff that old. We did the worst of the PHP 7 stuff back in the day but the 7.2 through 8 stuff wasn’t even a twinkle in the PHP team’s eye then.

Zelda

Participant
Yup, none of that stuff was updated for later versions of PHP. It is, unfortunately, quite a treadmill to migrate stuff that old. We did the worst of the PHP 7 stuff back in the day, but the 7.2 through 8 stuff wasn’t even a twinkle in the PHP team’s eye then.
Wedge turned out to be a huge disappointment. It originally looked very promising, and I had held out hope concerning their development. When it was released (10+ years ago), it almost seemed a little ahead of its time. But for whatever reason, the development walked away. It has aged poorly as a result.

Zelda

Participant
I couldn't deal with the personality of the other person.

This is my fault.
I was unaware you were a previous developer of Wedge. I am sorry to hear you were experiencing personality conflicts in your working environment. That is never good, and sometimes all anyone can do is walk away. You should not feel 'at fault.' Walking away does not change the fact that the remaining development team chose not to continue the development. That would be their sole responsibility and not yours.

edit:

Considering that I quit in 2013 because I couldn't deal with the other person's attitude, I'd argue it's mostly been on some form of life support since then anyway... but yeah, Nao asked me if I was cool with making it MIT a few months back, I don't know if he's actively done it yet, but I believe it was actually announced as going to be happening even if it hadn't happened *yet*.
I found your other post, which I must have missed in the other Wedge thread. I am sorry I originally missed this.

Nevertheless, I stand by my words. You are not responsible or accountable for their lack of development.

Last edited: