Web Hosting Control Panels!

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Morganna submitted a new Article:

Web Hosting Control Panels!

To have your own site - be it a forum, webpage or anything else - you need hosting. There are so many web hosting companies out there that it would take me months to list them and what they offer. It is essential when picking a host that you check which services they supply and that you understand them. You need to look at cost, how good their support (both customer and technical) is, maintenance and security. But, something else you need to look at is the control panel through which you control/manage your website.

There are quite a few different control panels out there, so I thought I'd list some of the main ones.

Helm
Parallels Helm is a Microsoft windows control panel solution, empowering hosting providers to control, automate and sell virtually any product or service. Helm allows service providers to keep their operational costs down and serve their customers better, resulting in efficient service, improved revenue and greater levels of customer satisfaction.

Helm has the flexibility to support any sized web hosting company by being able to provide its full range of services across thousands of servers or all on just one single machine. Adding and removing servers as you grow is easy and Helm has the ability to distribute your web sites across multiple servers insuring that they are used as effectively as possible.

By streamlining server-to-server communications, the next generation of Helm is faster, more flexible and more secure.
Product Demo
Features

cPanel
cPanel is the industry leader for turning standalone servers into a fully automated point-and-click hosting platform. Tedious tasks are replaced by web interfaces and API-based calls. cPanel is designed with multiple levels of administration including admin, reseller, end user, and email-based interfaces. These multiple levels provide security, ease of use, and flexibility for everyone from the server administrator to the email account user.
Product Demo
Features

Interworx
The InterWorx Hosting Control Panel is a dedicated server control panel. It is feature rich for both the system/cluster...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:
My favourite is cPanel - it's what my host uses.

We also offer DirectAdmin I think :)

Wizzard

ADX Dungeon Master
cPanel at my host. Finally cPanel have produced a control panel for Windows servers called "Enkompass"

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I like DreamHost's custom panel. I never have liked cpanel or plesk, dunno why either. I just find dreamhost panel a lot more user friendly and organized better.

Wizzard

ADX Dungeon Master
ChopSuey said:
cPanel ftw!

for VPS's HyperVM is pretty complicated.

It isn't a control panel as such, it helps you create virtual servers, within the virtual server you could install cpanel if you had a licence.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Wizzard said:
It isn't a control panel as such, it helps you create virtual servers, within the virtual server you could install cpanel if you had a licence.

Its still a control panel. As is virtuozzo power panel by Parallels. But they are of system panels and work with VPS and cloud instances. I wouldn't recommend Hyper VM right now its not secure just yet. Having gone open source recently.